Clicking links

Keeping you informed of what's happening with the forum, updates, downtime etc.
Shauned71

Clicking links

Post by Shauned71 »

A trivial thing... when clicking links the page changes to the link's target. How about setting the board so that when a link is clicked it auto opens in a new tab?

See, said it was trivial.... considering how easy it is to right click a link and select open in new tab lol Just habit of mine... see a link and click it as normal :roll:
VTRDark

Re: Clicking links

Post by VTRDark »

That's not good web design practise to open a link on a new page even if an external link. It actually works against the website with search rank ratings/search engine optimisation (SEO) as well as cause some accessibility issues for those that use screen readers etc, hence the reason it works against good SEO. Links should be left for you as the user to decide how links behave when clicked on via your browser. Either set you preferences so links open a new browser window or right click/control click on the link and open link in new window or tab. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

I wouldn't say having links auto open new tabs is all bad, it does have its uses but i do see your point... just old habit of mine that I click a link and go to another page rather than opening another tab myself. Personally I think that there should be a setting in users own control panel.... unless there is and iv'e missed it lol
Virt

Post by Virt »

Right click? What's that? Use the middle mouse button to click a link and it will open in a new tab. Takes no more or less time than left-clicking it :thumbup:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You obviously have a 3 button mouse then YMV, I didn't think that was the norm unless you into working with 3D and require the extra btn.

Virt

Post by Virt »

I haven't seen a two mouse button since 2004 :lol:

My mouse was £17 off amazon, I couldn't live without the third button/scroll wheel. Makes wasting time on the internet so much more efficient

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Argh I see, it's not a real button as such but your scroll wheel which doubles as a button for custom controls. Is it not a right click on a PC for the contextual menu then?

Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Virt wrote:Right click? What's that? Use the middle mouse button to click a link and it will open in a new tab. Takes no more or less time than left-clicking it :thumbup:
I never knew that :oops: nice one Virt :thumbup:

I got 8 buttons on my mouse... maybe i should try and find out what the others do :lol:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

If you have a iMac, the mouse is operated by a certain amount of fingers used, bit like 4 play :lol: :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If you have a iMac, the mouse is operated by a certain amount of fingers used, bit like 4 play :lol: :lol:
Very good :lol: I'm not a fan of mighty mice or any Apple mouse for that matter. Logitech for me if I'm not on the laptop.

bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

cybercarl wrote:
Very good :lol: I'm not a fan of mighty mice or any Apple mouse for that matter. Logitech for me if I'm not on the laptop.

Lost me there ( Logitech) ????
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Virt

Post by Virt »

Shauned71 wrote:
Virt wrote:Right click? What's that? Use the middle mouse button to click a link and it will open in a new tab. Takes no more or less time than left-clicking it :thumbup:
I never knew that :oops: nice one Virt :thumbup:

I got 8 buttons on my mouse... maybe i should try and find out what the others do :lol:
It will always be different for macro'd buttons, normally you have to program them yourself! The possibilities are endless, but they're only actually useful in gaming scenarios :lol:
cybercarl wrote:Argh I see, it's not a real button as such but your scroll wheel which doubles as a button for custom controls. Is it not a right click on a PC for the contextual menu then?

Right click is context menu, yeah. But it's easier to just press in the scroll wheel as on every OS I've used (Windows XP -> Windows 8, various Mac OS', Ubuntu 12.04) it resorts to "Open Link in New Tab". Which is nout but a blessing cause I'm the same as Shauned71 in how I use tabs :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

They make computer hardware like mice.

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/mice-pointers/mice