Running on one cylinder

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
ODB

Running on one cylinder

Post by ODB »

Took bike to a shop for carb cleaning on way there it was running badly. Had big kick of power and when got there rear downpipe was cold I told them about this. Anyway got it back still the same. Going round a bend and power kicked in again and nearly threw me off the bike. I've put new plugs and genuine Honda cap on rear cylinder. Fired bike up and down pipe got hot for few seconds then cold again. Any suggestions or know of a good shop near Warrington Cheshire. Be much appreciated as I keep throwing money at it with no results as shop didn't touch mixture and I did tell them it was running rich. 52 on a tank of fuel
cheekykev

Re: Running on one cylinder

Post by cheekykev »

Check the coil.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Swap the coils over and then see if it runs on one cylinder.If it does and the front is cold then it's probably the coil.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Have you checked the vacuum tap diaphragm? If running really rich and one cylinder not running I'd be looking at plugs first.
If the cold one is sooted up then it's likely to be a fuelling issue. If not that, a coil, plug cap or lead- swapping them over identifies this.
Was it previously ok?
If you bought it like this there is the possibility of valve or valve seat issues.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
ODB

Post by ODB »

Sorry I put new post up as didn't think this post went up. I've change plugs and plug cap and coil. It's back in shop now and they going through carbs again. It still has issue. Guy bought bike off said he never had problems with but not used it in 6 months