Front engine bolt removal

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Davem22

Front engine bolt removal

Post by Davem22 »

I know this topic has been discussed many, many times. Could anyone tell me whether the long front engine bolt, once the castellated nut has been removed, just pushes out (in theory), or is there another part which has to be loosened or removed before the long bolt can be removed. I don't want to start getting handy with the 8kg hammer if there is another step. :confused Tia.
MacV2

Re: Front engine bolt removal

Post by MacV2 »

Davem22 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:05 pm I know this topic has been discussed many, many times. Could anyone tell me whether the long front engine bolt, once the castellated nut has been removed, just pushes out (in theory), or is there another part which has to be loosened or removed before the long bolt can be removed. I don't want to start getting handy with the 8kg hammer if there is another step. :confused Tia.
In theory it should just push through having taken the nut off the other side of course.

So you take off the the castelated nut the go to the other side/end of the bolt & remove that nut.

It is highly likely the bolt is coroded in to the engine mount, steel through ally + salt off the winter roads, moisture ect ...

Plenty of Plus gas + let it soak in... If you can take the weight of the engine off by jacking it up under the sump, you dont want the weight of the engine hanging on the bolt...

Put the nut on the end of the bolt, to protect the threads & give it a whack...If it moves happy days, if not try some heat. heat the bolt, cool it fast & repeat...

Last resort is to cut the bolt either side of the mount, there is a spacer you can sacrafice on the right of the mount.

Been there done that, had them pull out with no issues, :thumbup: had them put up a fight but lose out to persuasion... :thumbup: :thumbup: Had to cut a couple out...

It depends on what your trying to do,take motor out to do work then replace or replace a motor or re frame a motor...

Take out cut the bolt, relace motor cut the bolt & the mount if ness, if the frame is going to be changed then the frame can be cut...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Davem22

Post by Davem22 »

Wondered why it seemed solid, its obviously corroded into the engine, luckily I'm changing the engine so can sacrifice the bolt (I have a spare), I will try the plus gas and try and get it out with a lump hammer, but if all else fails, then I'll cut it out, let's see if brute force works first !! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :Taz:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

One other option, you can release the bolt by cutting a slot (Dremel) in the boss that surrounds the bolt on the engine.
You would need to have the boss welded up after the engine is out.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Davem22

Post by Davem22 »

May try that as I don't need the engine, thanks for the help.