Running trouble

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
swild123

Running trouble

Post by swild123 »

Hi. I asked this question a while ago and got some great advice on here. But where I thought I had sorted the problem it has came back to haunt me.
Bike is running fine then all of a sudden it will seem like it’s running on 1 cylinder splutter and stop, I then get a little smell of fuel then go to start and it fires up and is fine again! I have
Checked fuel lines, spark plugs, cleaned carbs, checked diaphragm , breathers etc and they all seem fine. Totally driving me crazy as I don’t know where else to look....
Kev L

Re: Running trouble

Post by Kev L »

Is it a 16l model (pre 2001/2))? If it is check you have the fuel tap with the pipes installed correctly. There are 2 stubs which are the right size for the vacuum but only one works. If you lift the tank up from the front I think it’s the one running off horizontal at a 90degree angle, not the one pointing downward.

Have a look at the link for a picture-
https://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 43#p483343
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
swild123

Post by swild123 »

Great, I will have a look and update tomorrow 🤞
swild123

Post by swild123 »

Checked all the connections and they seem to be correct
bertye

Post by bertye »

Side stand switch?. Had the same on mine, and it was the connection from the switch under the seat. Disconnected mine and solders the wire on the loom together. No problem since. Just need to make sure that you don't ride off with the stand down.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

When it happens try opening the fuel filler and listen for air being pulled in. you can also see if it fires back up after opening the cap....if you have either of these happen, then the vent line is blocked in some way. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Double check the diaphragm..........