Rev 3

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
tony.mon

Re: Rev 3

Post by tony.mon »

I like that cooler, and the braided lines work well.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It's coming together now 8)

I agree, good job with the oil cooler and braided lines :clap:

I also prefer how you've kept the new oil cooler in a similar position to the original. I have never been keen on having the cooler mounted low down right in-line with all and sundry that is thrown up by the front wheel/tyre,

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Looking GREAT Mike!!!!!
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Well got a few more things done....almost time to push the button..... :wink:

Busy airbox:

a few more bits added

and where I finished up today

Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Looking good Mike :thumbup:
I can imagine you are excited and may be a little nervous as well to be near 'push the button' time, I hope all is well,

Chris.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:39 pm Looking good Mike :thumbup:
I can imagine you are excited and may be a little nervous as well to be near 'push the button' time, I hope all is well,

Chris.
Well I have already cranked her over and built oil pressure.....so at least it won't explode while cranking..... :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

8541Hawk wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:39 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:39 pm Looking good Mike :thumbup:

Chris.
Well I have already cranked her over and built oil pressure.....so at least it won't explode while cranking..... :lol:
That's a good sign :thumbup:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

rebuild is looking good Mike, glad that you are recovering well too
AMcQ
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Ffs, I can't check my tyre pressure with a splinter in my finger never mind what black magic your up to.
Can't wait on your reports once she's all dialed in.
Freckin amazing work.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

grumpyfrog wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:15 pm Ffs, I can't check my tyre pressure with a splinter in my finger never mind what black magic your up to.
Freckin amazing work.
lol.....now if I could only fix a computer....guess we all have our strengths and weaknesses. :wink:
I'm on a borrowed lap top right now until I can get mine into the shop. So no pics right now but I do have a video of the first fire up.
So yes she runs and no leaks. Now it's time to mount the fairing and go for the break-in run :angel: :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

8541Hawk wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:23 am
grumpyfrog wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:15 pm Ffs, I can't check my tyre pressure with a splinter in my finger never mind what black magic your up to.
Freckin amazing work.
lol.....now if I could only fix a computer....guess we all have our strengths and weaknesses. :wink:
I'm on a borrowed lap top right now until I can get mine into the shop. So no pics right now but I do have a video of the first fire up.
So yes she runs and no leaks. Now it's time to mount the fairing and go for the break-in run :angel: :lol:
That's a result, excellent news Mike 8) 8)
I look forward to seeing (and hearing) the video when your computer is fixed :D

Chris.
IanB

Post by IanB »

Mike,

I just went through the whole thread, beautiful work, well done!

A couple of pages back, you mentioned that you "installen new steering head bearings". I guess you installed tapered rollers, yes? I looked at the manual, Honda recommend tightening the adjustment nut to 18 ft lbs. They then go on to detail a test to check the preload, by measuring resistance to turning the steering head - they say it should take 2.2 to 3.5 pounds of pull to start the triple clamp rotating. This sounds like an awful lot to me! Doesn't this result in slow steering and a reluctance to turn?

What did you torque the adjustment nut to, and did you do the preload resistance test?

I ask, as I have some nice new tapered roller bearings ready to go in...

Ian
Ian
All of the gear, no idea...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

ian,

dont use the honda torque spec for taper bearings, that is only to be used for the std cup & cone type bearings. if you did tapers up to that load you would have some very strange steering behaiviour as they would be over loaded.

for tapers, you need to make sure the inner and outer races are fully seated (the noise will change if you are putting them on with a hammer (and a suitable drift so you are not impacting the race surface).

then set the castle nut adjuster so you just start to have interference when turning the bars, and there is no feeling of slack when you grip the bottom of the forks and pull fore & aft.

test ride and if there is a slight clunk when braking add a very small extra few degrees rotation on the adjusters till it goes..... also note that when you torque the steering stems top nut up, this will also add preload, so you need to check the steering rotation when all assembled with the top yoke fitted,

check this link. viewtopic.php?p=124933#p124933
AMcQ
IanB

Post by IanB »

Thanks Mike,

That was exactly my thinking. I've installed industrial tapered roller bearings many times, what you describe is very close to how I've been doing it. I'm planning to machine up a couple of discs to nicely fit the end faces of the bearings, get a length of M24 threaded rod, tighten the whole lot up, and then give each end a few sharp whacks with a copper mallet while under tension.

I read online about someone "assembling everything, and then really tightening the steering head nut" to seat things. Ineffective (you just exoand the outer races), and probably wreck the bearing to boot.

A more sensible suggestion I saw was to then readjust the bearings after 1,000 miles or so - I can see the logic in that.

Cheers,

Ian
Ian
IanB

Post by IanB »

Obviously, installation with the threaded rod & copper hammer is done on the outer races only, forgot to mention that in case anyone else is following this!

Ian
Ian