New Aus member....

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Jtmofo

New Aus member....

Post by Jtmofo »

G'day all,

Just picked up a new (to me) 2006 VTR1000f with the purpose of racing a "Classic" bike in our local pre modern/retro era classes.
Amazing to think that these are now old enough to qualify for classic or historic racing events.

The rules for my local Pre modern class allow bikes that were built from 1991 to 1997 to race, even if the year build is after 1997 (once no major component has change throughout its life cycle), so my 06 is good to go!

I have been a lurker over the last few months, recently joined and will have plenty of follow up questions to ask!

The bike is currently completely stripped, with MCCTs and valve adjustments being done this week. Motor will go back in stock, I'm spending the budget on chassis parts first. :?

List of parts awaiting delivery

1. 2006 VTR1000f Bike
2. Nitron RT3 fully adjustable rear shock
3. Matris F15K fork cartridge kit
4. Healtech Quick shifter
5. MotoForza Full Race Fairing
6. 41mm clip ons
7. Brembo radial MC
8. HEL brake and clutch braided lines
9. HRC QA throttle tube

Currently trying to source a set of after market rear sets at reasonable cost. Moriwaki's want $750+ :eh: , so if anyone has any laying about, feel free to let me know. (anything considered)

Things I can't quite afford yet

1. Slipper Clutch
2. CBR900 Swing arm brace Mod
3. Motor work (cams, pistons, etc)
AMCQ46

Re: New Aus member....

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the VTR team.

that race series sounds like fun, what other bikes will you be racing against?

Only thing I would add to your wave 1 list is :
Stiffer fork springs
some calipers off a CBR600F with bigger pistons and a bigger pad area, then match the master cyl size to these. Have a look at this thread https://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 94#p123094
AMcQ
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Hello and welcome to the club
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

As I do use mine on track, too, I'd have a few additions.

Before you get any other brake calipers, try Lucas SRQ brake pads without the backplates.
The Brembo master cylinder has which diameter?
The stock pump has 14mm, usually you go higher with radial pumps. I use a 5/8 (around 16 mm) SC57 radial pump which is cheap to source and works reasonably well with steel braided lines.
Larger pumps like 20 or 21 mm may turn out too stiff (= large hand force required).

If the fork cartridge kit doesn't contain new, stiffer springs, they belong on the list, too.
I have Oehlins with something like 8.2 N/mm.
A friend of mine uses stock ZX7R fork springs, that you can get very cheap from eBay. Spring rate is around 9 N/mm, diameter fits into the SC36 fork, just the preload tubes had to be cut as the Kawa springs are longer.

Concerning the footrests, I stayed stock as they scrape pretty late and are - you may have guessed it - cheap to source.
If I'd were to use something "prettier", I'd order some current AliExpress sets and simply manufacture an adapter plate to fit it to the VTR.
They're reasonably cheap and you could order 2 or 3 sets to stock spares in case you crash.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKzN4hr

PS: Here's an onboard from a track day in 2020 with the VTR
Bye
Martin
gilson

Post by gilson »

Welcome! IMO these bikes make great track bikes.

Perhaps a lithium battery as they are ridiculously light compared to stock, but it's only a few of KG saving.
No bike (yet).
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

You should have a well sorted bike when you've finished 8)

Chris.
Jtmofo

Post by Jtmofo »

AMCQ46 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:57 am Welcome to the VTR team.

that race series sounds like fun, what other bikes will you be racing against?

Only thing I would add to your wave 1 list is :
Stiffer fork springs
some calipers off a CBR600F with bigger pistons and a bigger pad area, then match the master cyl size to these. Have a look at this thread https://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 94#p123094

Pretty much any SBK bikes from the era can enter, so VRF750s (RC30,RC45), ZXR750, ZX7, GSXR750, TL1000, YZF750, Ducati 916, 888 etc.
There are a couple of outstanding performers in the class, so I'm not too worried about running up the front. The little VTR should be fun.

The fork cartridges have uprated linear springs, so should make a huge difference as I'm a fatty!

Calipers are on the list too, but I will see how the stockies go with braided lines and a larger MC. :thumbup:
Jtmofo

Post by Jtmofo »

MK_WF wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:01 am As I do use mine on track, too, I'd have a few additions.

Before you get any other brake calipers, try Lucas SRQ brake pads without the backplates.
The stock pump has 14mm, usually you go higher with radial pumps. I use a 5/8 (around 16 mm) SC57 radial pump which is cheap to source and works reasonably well with steel braided lines.
Larger pumps like 20 or 21 mm may turn out too stiff (= large hand force required).

If the fork cartridge kit doesn't contain new, stiffer springs, they belong on the list, too.
A friend of mine uses stock ZX7R fork springs, that you can get very cheap from eBay. Spring rate is around 9 N/mm, diameter fits into the SC36 fork, just the preload tubes had to be cut as the Kawa springs are longer.

Concerning the footrests, I stayed stock as they scrape pretty late and are - you may have guessed it - cheap to source.
If I'd were to use something "prettier", I'd order some current AliExpress sets and simply manufacture an adapter plate to fit it to the VTR.
They're reasonably cheap and you could order 2 or 3 sets to stock spares in case you crash.

I've got a couple of radial MC's here in various sizes. I'll try them out for feel before committing to spending money to an aftermarket one. I've got a 3/4 (19mm) and a 5/8 (16mm).

As mentioned, I've spec'd higher rate linear springs with the cartridge kit, so that's boxed off.

I've grabbed some LSL pegs and mounts for the stock rearsets, should give plenty of grip and maybe some extra clearance. If they dont work out, I'll look at other options.
gilson

Post by gilson »

Jtmofo wrote:
MK_WF wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:01 am As I do use mine on track, too, I'd have a few additions.

I've got a couple of radial MC's here in various sizes. I'll try them out for feel before committing to spending money to an aftermarket one. I've got a 3/4 (19mm) and a 5/8 (16mm).

As mentioned, I've spec'd higher rate linear springs with the cartridge kit, so that's boxed off.

I've grabbed some LSL pegs and mounts for the stock rearsets, should give plenty of grip and maybe some extra clearance. If they dont work out, I'll look at other options.
Please post more information on your progression, especially when you race. Pictures are mandatory ImageImage
No bike (yet).
Jtmofo

Post by Jtmofo »

A few quick pics of progess.
Complete strip down, valve clearance check(and adjustment) along with some MCCTs.
Ordered heaps of parts (including rear sets 8O )

Waiting on shims to arrive, then I can start building the motor back up again and reframe.

Found Honda's sneaky <100bhp restrictions that a pot of Aus market VTRs have. Dremel sorted this out.

Loom is getting overhauled tonight, removing the junk that can be removed. Ill post some before and after once that's done.
Attachments
received_485726195839664.jpeg
20210612_101826.jpg
20210607_144836.jpg
20210606_190205.jpg
20210606_190151.jpg
20210605_174708.jpg
Jtmofo

Post by Jtmofo »

Swing arm linkage needle roller bearing are butchered. :thumbdown:
Attachments
IMG-20210619-WA0007.jpeg
20210614_100546.jpg
20210614_100539.jpg
Jtmofo

Post by Jtmofo »

Frame has been tidied up, shims adjusted, rocker covers given a lack of high heat paint, loom stripped and its starting to be reassembled.
Still waiting on big ticket parts to arrive, most notably the rear shock and rearsets.
Silicone hoses are also enroute.
The subframe has been blasted and is ready to get adjusted to run the sensitive electrical on the inside for protection.

We've just been put on Covid lock down again, so should manage to get more work done over the next 2 weeks. :?
Attachments
20210625_184029.jpg
20210625_155039.jpg
Cptorange

Post by Cptorange »

Nice bike :), the shock linkages always seem to get a beating. I raced one here in the UK on twisty tracks, and all I can tell you is spend money on the handling and brakes/set-up! It steers like a lorry until you get it sorted/regardless of what shock you have.
I had Ohlins/shock + shim, mag wheels, Iron front rotors, and std dropped front end with linear ohlins springs and slicks, and I could just about bring it home in the front end of a club race. But that was 20 years ago!
Just building one at the minute in a rose tinted haze