Newby from Wigan

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
BAFF

Newby from Wigan

Post by BAFF »

Hello all,
I’m a 55 yo Male from Wigan and I will be collecting a red 2004 Firestorm at 10 am today. I’ve been a biker all my life and have had many bikes. Currently I own a highly modified Honda cub and a Yam xj600 that is a cafe racer project. I sold my 2015 Hayabusa last month and I’m looking forward to owning and maintaining the VTR this year. It’s got a full service history and has done 19k miles. It’s not been modified in any way and needs a good clean and service and the peeling lacquer on the front fork addressing. I’ve booked it in for an mot at 11 today so I can ride it back from the vendors to my local MOT station. Brake pads and oil and filter change are first on the list, this along with anything that gets picked up on the mot will keep me occupied for the rest of the week. Insurance was mega cheap with Bennett’s £88 fully comp. I’ve always used forums for all my rides as the content enables the best of maintenance tips and worthwhile mods. Stu. :wink:
Kev L

Re: Newby from Wigan

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club Stu. Hope the journey home goes well and doesn’t offer up too many maintenance tasks!
Enjoy the bike
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello,and welcome to the forum.There's lots of tips and workshop knowledge here,along with a bit of banter. :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Stu :thumbup:

I hope all is going well,

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome to the best forum on the internet
AMcQ
BAFF

Post by BAFF »

Thanks Folks, the ride home was a bit chilly but the bike performed great, plenty of torque and a nice sound too. I took it straight for its MOT and it passed with an advisory for rear brake pads low. I managed to swap those this afternoon. The little spring plate that holds the pads opposite the location pin was a bit of a PITA but I got there in the end. I did the oil and filter too and checked over the air filter. The small wedge shaped pre filters had both perished so they’ve come out until I can source some new ones. I think I will tackle the front pads next and sort out the peeling lacquer on the forks while I’m at it. Should be right for shoving 6 months tax on it on Saturday.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The ride home and the mot went well :thumbup:

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Re.the pre filters.A lot of owners on here make their own out of sponge.They also swap the acct's for manual tensioners as the auto's are known to fail causing pistons to hit the valvesThey fail with no warning at all.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
gilson

Post by gilson »

AMCQ46 wrote:welcome to the best forum on the internet
Ain't that the truth...

Welcome Stu...
No bike (yet).
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Welcome Stu, I’m sure your VTR will do everything you expect of it once set up the way you want it,
Regards chrisc