that dread realization

General Biker Banter
haynesjones66

that dread realization

Post by haynesjones66 »

i've been out on the cbr6 three times in as many weeks and every time i've not enjoyed the ride as i usually do. today though, it sort of hit me that my sports bike days may be over. my hip and knees are always painful when riding, but changing gear was a big problem today with ankle pain and leg cramp thrown in. at 61, 30 odd years of commuting to work has taken it's toll especially with the physical labour kind of jobs i've been employed in. to have to consider giving up is quite unsettling as biking has been part of my life for so long, but i feel i'm having to face reality and accept it. riding upright bikes are also a no-no for me as my hip is worn in the seated upright position. the cbr will probably be sold soon but the thought of maybe selling the storm is looming over me like a black cloud. i'm sure i'm not alone in this.
grumpyfrog

Re: that dread realization

Post by grumpyfrog »

Sorry to hear that your are not getting on with the CBR, but I know you've said your not into a sit up and beg, but have you tried a bike that still has rear sets and flat bars?, Still get your hips bent enough but taking some strain off the wrists? I only ask as I've had the vtr with flat bars with standard pegs and rear sets and the difference is crazy.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I realised that at 72 years old and 56 years of riding bikes on the road in all weather's year in and year out it was that time in my life when it had to go and motor bikes were not for me any more.I have been without a bike now for 2years and I do miss it.I still look at what is for sale and get tempted but then I get sensible and resist.My last day of riding my bike to deliver it to Mac was one of the wettest days I have ever had on a bike.I think of that day and think feck motorbikes.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Diavel time?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

tony.mon wrote:Diavel time?
Cracking bikes. I test rode one where they first came out. Much better handling than they have any right to be but way to rich for me.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

not sure what to do just yet so we'll see. spending some time in our school gym to get more supple but not much progress so far
gilson

Post by gilson »

haynesjones66 wrote:not sure what to do just yet so we'll see. spending some time in our school gym to get more supple but not much progress so far
Yoga is excellent in many ways. It's an obvious stretch out but the meditation to calm and train the mind is also very beneficial. I've done yoga for a while but just started Keogafit which is yoga and kettle bells. There are lots of sessions on line, YouTube has plenty but the gyms are reopening soon too.
No bike (yet).
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

My body is old and buggered. Put me on a Fireblade and I need to be lifted off after 20 miles (too crunched forward). I can sit on WellGroomed KTM adv for less than 5 miles before my back is screaming due to the upright posture. Give me something where I can lean into the wind but still have reasonably high bars I'm good for all day. The Tuono is so comfortable for me. A VTR with flat bars has very similar ergos. I personally don't like them as I think it ruins the balance of the bike but many people swear by them. Worth trying one out perhaps?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I have a storm with flat bars and rearsets fitted if you are anywhere close and want to try those ergonomics.

as I have long legs, I still get sore knees after a long day out on the storm, where as on the KTM adventure the pegs are much lower and further forwards, so my legs are happy.... but kermit is right about sitting upright being harder on your back (and on my boney butt), so I do find on the motorway on the KTM I will use the pillion foot rests to get more of a sport bike riding position.
AMcQ
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

i rode a mates thruxton R a while back and that was surprisingly comfortable. also low enough to throw your leg over. might have to dig out the hacksaw and attack the storm.....
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

my three bikes are different ergo wise and what should be the most comfy isnt :eek2
the LC gets my hips after a while.
the MT is super comfy but after a day out the arms are pulled outa me.
and dori which should be the worst is actually pretty ok. rearsets and 3" raised clipons are great, only problem is my ass is sore but prob due to a foam seat.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I'm finding my MT-10 to be really comfy after a long day in the saddle; I did 630km more or less non-stop on Sunday and stepped off fresh as a daisy. The ride position is very good and has ample leg room, a comfy seat and bars that are "just so", right where you want them to be. In spite of the fancy Ohlins suspension I'm not quite sold on the front end, it handles great but can be quite jarring on sharp bumps, which gets a bit tiring over a long day.
IMG_2011.jpg
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
popkat

Post by popkat »

Cadbury64 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:43 pm I'm finding my MT-10 to be really comfy after a long day in the saddle; I did 630km more or less non-stop on Sunday and stepped off fresh as a daisy. The ride position is very good and has ample leg room, a comfy seat and bars that are "just so", right where you want them to be. In spite of the fancy Ohlins suspension I'm not quite sold on the front end, it handles great but can be quite jarring on sharp bumps, which gets a bit tiring over a long day.
IMG_2011.jpg
Off topic I know but try replicating your A mode on the suspension with one of the M modes, just set them the same. I found the Jarring went mostly away, I believe the electronic adjustment isn't very good and doesn't react fast enough. easy to mess with settings in the dash, I have tweaked my M modes to what i'm happy with now, I also set the preload but on the rear I'm going to back it off again as for the road it seems to like a little more sag.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

went out for another mad thrash yesterday and i'm feeling it today. i could have done with a walking stick as my hip and ankle were quite painful. i suppose my riding style doesnt help much either as i move about a lot and perch on the pegs with the soles of my feet. so changing gear is: move foot to change gear, move foot back and so on through the gears. i also move from one side of the seat to the other even though i dont think i'm anywhere near the tarmac. old habits i guess.. i'm thinking of trying out different styles of bike, even maxi scooters 8O
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

well, i finally crossed the line yesterday. i swapped my cbr600f4i for a suzuki burgman 400 and while it's comfortable to ride, i cant help but feel old on the thing! still, i'm actually enjoying riding again. i still have the storm in the shed but it will probably have to go too. off to bed now with my horlicks and a copy of People's Friend....