what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
Kev L

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Kev L »

Young Guns, and they let you in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :problem: :lol: :wink:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Well done Macster, big improvement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Kev L wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:41 pm Young Guns, and they let you in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :problem: :lol: :wink:
No I had to be this side of the Covid barrier... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

:lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Went for a run to the 1066 cafe near Hastings and spotted a 54 Image
plate Storm ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Tried to find the slight coolant leak on the Tuono.
It'll have to last for NI and Scotland, too late to pull it apart now.
The level's not going down, just a drip or two when it's parked up after a run.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:07 pm Tried to find the slight coolant leak on the Tuono.
It'll have to last for NI and Scotland, too late to pull it apart now.
The level's not going down, just a drip or two when it's parked up after a run.

Sure it's not just you dribbling ? :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Sadly, not. Looks like new rad time, £677 from the main dealer ...
I can buy a new one in Italy for £450, but that will be plus whatever duty applies, and will take two to three weeks.
It also seems to be leaking from the water pump, again, just two or three drips after a run when you park it up.
Rad is full up, and the reservoir tank level is not visibly dropping, so I think it'll last until a new rad arrives.

But I will call Aaron Radiators in SE London on Monday morning to see if they will pressure test it and repair if they find a pinprick, but they'd have to be able to turn it round pretty quickly if I can get it repaired before setting off for the NI shenanigans run on Thursday afternoon- especially as I am staying on afterwards and then heading straight to the Scotland run.

Bikes do pick their times, don't they?
gilson

Post by gilson »

I hope it doesn't get any worse Tony. Good luck with tracking it down.

Yesterday I spent a little time on my Storm.

I had a good evening session at Brands on Thursday. There were a couple of moments with a crazy 2T rider getting very close to a few people including me and a couple of old Moto Guzzi giving it some fagioli. There were more old MGs were in the faster group too, it was brilliant to see. I laughed when I saw the side stand of the MG, it must have been almost two feet long! Bemsee racing there this weekend so it was generally busy but plenty of space once settled.

In between sessions I took the slack out of my throttle and realised that it wasn't snapping back to off. It's odd when your bike doesn't slow down when you close the throttle Image. I had a replacement tube (an HRC QA 1/6 turn) so took the old one off, which might have been the same turn ratio as the HRC one but it was very dirty and the reason for a slow snap back. I also put some new renthal grips on. Who would have thought using hairspray works so well! It's a bit of a shame that I had to trim the tube and end of grip due to the brake lever but hey ho.

I also replaced the exhaust hangers to replace the pillion ones and hopefully ensured the Gear Indicator now makes proper contact with the Ecu wire.

Having the GI working, especially at Brands, which is a frantic track, would really help. I love the bike squirming on braking up to the hairpin but locking the rear wheel going into first adds even more spice. Image

Have a lovely Sunday all. ImageImageImage
No bike (yet).
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Gilson, some times the throttle not closing is caused by not having enough slack on the return cable side, so it may be worth checking that, especially if you have fitted a faster action tube.

.. I Took the return cable off years ago and the throttle is much lighter
AMcQ
gilson

Post by gilson »

AMCQ46 wrote:Gilson, some times the throttle not closing is caused by not having enough slack on the return cable side, so it may be worth checking that, especially if you have fitted a faster action tube.

.. I Took the return cable off years ago and the throttle is much lighter
Hi AMQ, the return has been removed by the previous owner. Thinking about it more, it might have been worsened by me as I added grease/WD a while back. I now know that this makes it tacky and the best option is absolutely no lubricants at all. It feels like an on/off switch now. Let's hope its not too much for me.

I hope you are well.
No bike (yet).
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Put the XSR up for sale, having the KTM Duke means I don't really need it but I do need a faired motorway cruiser, so if the XSR goes I'll be looking for a BM F800GT or similar.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
neil

Post by neil »

Had my VTR Mot'd yesterday so another is now back on road. Hugger to refit today. Noticed brakes are not as good as my Benelli I've been riding most just lately, have to adjust to that. Looking forward to using it now, will probably keep it on the road through winter to use on decent days. 46,000 miles still going strong.
redvtr
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

neil wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:22 pm Had my VTR Mot'd yesterday so another is now back on road. Hugger to refit today. Noticed brakes are not as good as my Benelli I've been riding most just lately, have to adjust to that. Looking forward to using it now, will probably keep it on the road through winter to use on decent days. 46,000 miles still going strong.
Strip and rebuild the calipers, it will bring them back to life.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Visit from Jonesy toady. Went out for a wee spin VTR v's BMW...

I won but thats only coz I knew where we were going... :lol: :lol:

Bacon buttie & a coffee... :thumbup:

Bejebus it's warm out there... :redface