what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
fabiostar

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by fabiostar »

well today i cursed a bit.

i bought martys big sexy pfm calipers and discs so today i bled them.

yesterday i bled them.

the day before i also bled them :Argue 1:

the day before that i wombles also bled them..... great stopping power but i can only get it on the last 50% of the lever :confused .

yes iv sucked blown pumped ,tied over night all the normal stuff,, got a how to from the the way pfm do it... 2 litres of fluid later. nutting

this isnt gona end well :eek2 :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fabiostar wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:15 pm well today i cursed a bit.

yesterday i bled them.

the day before that i wombles also bled them..... great stopping power but i can only get it on the last 50% of the lever :confused .

yes iv sucked blown pumped ,tied over night all the normal stuff,, got a how to from the the way pfm do it... 2 litres of fluid later. nutting

Get in touch with Jonesy he will tell you what to do...

I've got his old ones sitting in the brake crate... 8O
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

yesterday i bled them.

This is from Wally at PFM:
Christian sent Today at 9:07 AM
The caliper should then be unbolted from its mounting and secured to the brake disc with the bleed nipples vertical (a rubber band or tie wrap is useful for this). Clear plastic hose should be fitted to the bleed nipples and the free ends placed in a suitable container. The master cylinder reservoir top should be removed and the reservoir filled with new brake fluid (either DOT4, DOT5.1 or race fluid), do not replace the cap at this stage. Then each bleed nipple should be loosened by approximately ½ a turn and left until clear brake fluid with no air bubbles flows into the hose. This is done without touching the brake lever, and should be repeated for all the bleed nipples in turn. Make sure that the fluid level is topped up in the reservoir during this process and not allowed to drop and allow air into the system (if that happens, start again!). When this has been completed, tighten the bleed nipples and pump the brake lever to push pads onto the discs, then repeat the process again to ensure that there is no trapped air in the system. Once this has been completed refit the calipers to the fork legs and tighten the retaining bolts to the manufactures recommended torque settings (use liquid thread locking agent).
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

MacV2 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:15 am

yesterday i bled them.

The caliper should then be unbolted from its mounting and secured to the brake disc with the bleed nipples vertical (a rubber band or tie wrap is useful for this). Clear plastic hose should be fitted to the bleed nipples and the free ends placed in a suitable container. The master cylinder reservoir top should be removed and the reservoir filled with new brake fluid (either DOT4, DOT5.1 or race fluid), do not replace the cap at this stage. Then each bleed nipple should be loosened by approximately ½ a turn and left until clear brake fluid with no air bubbles flows into the hose. This is done without touching the brake lever, and should be repeated for all the bleed nipples in turn. Make sure that the fluid level is topped up in the reservoir during this process and not allowed to drop and allow air into the system (if that happens, start again!). When this has been completed, tighten the bleed nipples and pump the brake lever to push pads onto the discs, then repeat the process again to ensure that there is no trapped air in the system. Once this has been completed refit the calipers to the fork legs and tighten the retaining bolts to the manufactures recommended torque settings (use liquid thread locking agent).
yup iv been at that for two days aswell :eek2 :eek2 . strange cause i havent seen any air bubbles in a few days,. when i have everything bolted and bled up, as best as it gets, the inside pads on the righthand caliper is still a tad loose? the rest are resting on the discs but not that one pad. had those pistons out and cleaned tho they were spotless but they just refuse to stay on the disc like the others....

next time i change something on this bike somebody boot me in the bollox..

il give it another go then pop the brembos back on and have a rethink :thumbup: :thumbup:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

:Ball Kick: :Ball Kick: :Ball Kick: no problems :thumbup:
If you don't get on with them dibs if you sell them :thumbup:
popkat

Post by popkat »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:54 pm
MacV2 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:15 am

yesterday i bled them.

yup iv been at that for two days aswell :eek2 :eek2 . strange cause i havent seen any air bubbles in a few days,. when i have everything bolted and bled up, as best as it gets, the inside pads on the righthand caliper is still a tad loose? the rest are resting on the discs but not that one pad. had those pistons out and cleaned tho they were spotless but they just refuse to stay on the disc like the others....

next time i change something on this bike somebody boot me in the bollox..

il give it another go then pop the brembos back on and have a rethink :thumbup: :thumbup:

Incompatible master cylinder/wrong ratio ?

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

at last, long last. i ended up clamping the other pads and bleeding and pumping until i got the one loose inner pad to stay on the disc..

iv had storm calipers, then sp calipers then brembos on dori but these things are on another level :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 close to overkill :lol: :lol:

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:25 pm at last, long last. i ended up clamping the other pads and bleeding and pumping until i got the one loose inner pad to stay on the disc..

iv had storm calipers, then sp calipers then brembos on dori but these things are on another level :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 close to overkill :lol: :lol:

I'm glad you got there eventually Rob :clap:

Those brakes look awesome 8)

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Woke the old girl up from hibernation; drained the storage gas, put in some fresh stuff and she fired up right away :) Went for a short ride and all went well; the link between the throttle tube and my silly grin is intact for another year :thumbup:
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:49 am Woke the old girl up from hibernation; drained the storage gas, put in some fresh stuff and she fired up right away :) Went for a short ride and all went well; the link between the throttle tube and my silly grin is intact for another year :thumbup:
:thumbup: 8)

I felt the vibes from here Micky :lol:
Okay may be that is a bit of an exaggeration :wink: :D

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Still a bit spannered so unable to really do anything tinkering wise...

I have made a list of things to be done tho...

Plan A is to get Blonkey up & running to take over commuting duties..it's either that or buy something else to ride...

No doubt work would prefer I went 4 wheels but I'd rather not be stuck in the daily que's of traffic on the A2, thanks very much...

However bike wise...I SORN'd Custurd & taxed Nue Red this morning. Just noticed tho that Nue Red is due MOT got till the end of May for that so any time from now it can be done... :thumbup:
popkat

Post by popkat »

MacV2 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:09 am

Plan A is buy something else to ride, like a low mileage 2016 VFR800X Crossrunner in perfect condition with loads of extra's and perfect for the job.. I think i'd like to spend £6500

Ohh Mac I have that exact bike for sale, transfer the money over and send a carrier down :D :D :D :beer:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

popkat wrote:

Plan A is buy something else to ride, like a low mileage 2016 VFR800X Crossrunner in perfect condition with loads of extra's and perfect for the job.. I think i'd like to spend £6500

Ohh Mac I have that exact bike for sale, transfer the money over and send a carrier down :D :D :D Image

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jamie :wave:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

popkat wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:49 pm

Ohh Mac I have that exact bike for sale, transfer the money over and send a carrier down :D :D :D :beer:

:thumbup: :lol:

Chris.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Put a Sigma slipper clutch in the RC8, while I was there, I thought best to put new clutch plates and springs in. I gave it fresh oil, filters, replaced a load of gaskets and o rings to cure a slight oil leak.

Also put my reupholstered seat on, which is lovely! I sent a chap a very tatty seat I bought off eBay and it's come back looking great. 25mm higher and a small rise near the tank.

The engine braking is savage on the RC8, so the slipper clutch has really made it easier to control on the downshifts. Something I always wanted to do to my Storm.

A few weeks back BSD in Peterborough gave my bike an ecu remap on their dyno. The low throttle response is now very smooth and much easier to manage on and off the throttle. As a bonus my home-butchered stock exhaust (cut the cats out and got it welded back up), they said it's one of the most powerful RC8s they've done!

On to the GasGas next! Can't wait
Jamie :wave: