Bazza & Tony hope you slowed down faster than I did!

Where are the boys in blue hiding??????
MacV2

Re: Bazza & Tony hope you slowed down faster than I did!

Post by MacV2 »

Still look on the bright side Al, at leasts you have proof that the yellow slug can do more than 40...

Tony is definitely guilty, he's fled the country & is currently hiding* in Ireland...

* Sorry that should read Drinking in Ireland.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
darkember

Post by darkember »

adyf wrote:That's a shitter Al ,I could say something about observational skills but I couldn't see a bloody great van with cameras in it so I can't comment! Hope you get the course mate so they can tell you how to ride properly lol.its getting ridiculous in this country ,it was a motorway for Christ's sake,if it was in a town I would say it was deserved,ask me about a job our lass put on the polices system when she was at west yorkshire it will make your blood boil at the Wales meet.
Ady, I presume you were heading away from the van then, usually they catch oncomming traffic making a little harder to pin a bike down??
adyf

Post by adyf »

No mate was headed straight at it ,the vans in n.York's are for catching bikes in particular ,the one got me front and rear cameras ,they are placed near squires cafe on busy days ,easy money!
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

neil wrote:
darkember wrote:What's the crack if you enter the zone in one lane realize you are over the limit then during the zone change lanes for the next camera are they linked or can you fool it??
I've heard that one, don't know if it works but I always swap lanes just in case it does
think this used to be the case a few years back, but no more. when the M1 at the southern end was being road worked for ten years it was a common ploy in the average speed limit zones, swap lanes and they lose you. It stopped rather quickly as several work colleagues found out. Doesn't mean all systems are the same though
firestormrod

Post by firestormrod »

AMCQ46 wrote:just got a nice letter telling me I was exceeding the variable speed limit where the M6 Toll blends into the M42 on the way back from Benny's funeral.

was doing 67mph and there was no build up of traffic at that point, but they had just put the variable speed limit up on the overhead gantry to start getting everybody slowed down for the que building up a mile down the road.

Looks like I might get away with a speed awareness course as I think my last one was over 3 years ago

Tony & Bazza, you 2 were on the same stretch of road, so I hope you slowed down before the gantry, not after it like I did :(
MAY help ?

The ones on the M25 are exactly the same as the ones on the M42 and the New ones on the M6.

They are called Gantry Gatso's. This is basically a complete Gatso camera but mounted on a gantry. It has the same box on top of the pole as a normal Gatso, and hence works the same (radar, 800-frame roll of film. There are ruler markings on the road as well; the only difference is that the speed settings change with the variable speed limit.

About one gantry in five has the facility to take live equipment, and the boxes on the other gantries are dummies.(hence why above users may have speeded and not been caught) On live gantries they have mounted one radar per lane, but only one camera per gantry which is swapped from lane to lane periodically. When the speed limit changes so will the set speed that the Gatso will trap you at.

When a new speed limit is posted, the CMIIS software does the following:
1, Starts a timer for a user-set "grace period", to allow the motorist time to react to the new limit. This is generally set at 5mins. (answers above question)
2, Checks that the posted limit is valid (i.e.. is one of RX, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 or NS)
3, Checks that the optical output from the matrix board is exactly the same as the electrical input. In other words, if even one bulb that makes up the display of the speed has blown on the matrix board, it is invalid and the system will never
activate.
4, Performs a whole raft of crosscheck's, internal checks, etc., any of which can invalidate the system and cause it not to enforce. This includes an anti-tamper check on the enclosure.

I reckon you will not hear anything as you could have been in the grace period.....not sure about your following pals though

:D

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/gatso10.htm

Interesting link
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Good information, helps me work out what to do next!

For me the limit must have been lit up for the 5min time slot as they just sent me a 3point letter :( .... So it must just have been me not seeing the signs till I was just about on them. My only mitigation waist was the first 40 limit warning rather that a continuous sequence of 40 limits which followed.

Am figuring there is no point in fighting it, as I was speeding ......I am just miffed that I didnt slow fast enough when I saw the signs.....figured that just rolling the throttle off was more sensible than slamming on the brakes.

So this year I have had one endorsement from 3yrs ago run out, but collected another 2 :( So have 6 points to carry for the next 3 yrs.
I think I will be doing the back marker duties at op storm Wales next month, as the leader position makes me first into any speed trap and I don't want to get up to 9 points yet!
AMcQ
darkember

Post by darkember »

Ahh thats good new my 3 points will clear this October :thumbup:
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

AMCQ46 wrote:Good information, helps me work out what to do next!

For me the limit must have been lit up for the 5min time slot as they just sent me a 3point letter :( .... So it must just have been me not seeing the signs till I was just about on them. My only mitigation waist was the first 40 limit warning rather that a continuous sequence of 40 limits which followed.

Am figuring there is no point in fighting it, as I was speeding ......I am just miffed that I didnt slow fast enough when I saw the signs.....figured that just rolling the throttle off was more sensible than slamming on the brakes.

So this year I have had one endorsement from 3yrs ago run out, but collected another 2 :( So have 6 points to carry for the next 3 yrs.
I think I will be doing the back marker duties at op storm Wales next month, as the leader position makes me first into any speed trap and I don't want to get up to 9 points yet!
how much was the fine . I thought I heard on the radio that they were putting the 60 quid one up to 100 :sad2
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
geodude

Post by geodude »

“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Just an update: I heard nothing, but then I tend to try to keep to 80 or under on the speedo (they always over-read, so there's a safety limit built in) then have the fun of accelerating up to the speed I was doing as soon as I've crossed the lines.
I was on a bike registered to Agent Orange, but then he's heard nothing either.

I won't be collecting any new points on the bike this year, not until the engine's back running, anyway...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
almightytomo

Post by almightytomo »

Worth noting that the gantries don't always have cameras on them. If you look at the gantry on the opposite side of the road as you approach it, you can see if they have a speed camera on them or not. Easy to adjust then, unless they are average speed ones?

If you see a camera on the opposing carridge way, there will be one hiding behind the speed limit sign on the gantry on your side! :thumbup:

Saved me a few points so far.
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

almightytomo wrote:Worth noting that the gantries don't always have cameras on them. If you look at the gantry on the opposite side of the road as you approach it, you can see if they have a speed camera on them or not. Easy to adjust then, unless they are average speed ones?

If you see a camera on the opposing carridge way, there will be one hiding behind the speed limit sign on the gantry on your side! :thumbup:

Saved me a few points so far.

Sorry, not true. We have variable speed limit (managed motorways) around newport, there are 2 camera gantries in each direction and they are in completely different places on each side. When you live here you just learn where they are.

They also are only ever active when there is a reduced limit showing, when it's national speed limit they are turned off.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

same in the midlands Matty..............my only excuse was that I was brain fried from 2hrs of white line filtering on the M6 and I was now just sitting in the middle lane, rolling with the surrounding traffic and didnt react fast enough when I saw the start of the variable 40 limit [and neither did the cars round me!, so I bet they all got tickets as well]
AMcQ
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Very rarely does a gantry with a camera sign on it have a camera, this has saved me quite a lot of heart stopping moments.

Or of course a set of ear buds and http://www.trapster.com/ running on your phone!