Up Rating The 'Storms Brakes

General Bike chat
Wheelie_Ben

Up Rating The 'Storms Brakes

Post by Wheelie_Ben »

Has anyone found a way to make the 'storms brakes stop the beast quicker? Changing hoses, different pads, caliper changes etc... Any advice would help a lot!
Cheers Steve :D
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

You'll be wanting a PFM 6pot caliper and 320mm iron disc upgrade then! They work absolute wonders! Naturally complement these brakes with braided hoses and a bigger master cyclinder and WOW - now you have some brakes!

:wink:
stormsmasher

Post by stormsmasher »

Start with some new EBC HH pads.....
Next fit braided lines......

Still not happy, try an SP1 master cylinder.....

Then as Wayne says it's time for a new set up, I tried some Tokico 6 pots for a while and they worked well with some special mounting brackets.

I now have a full 916 front end with an SP1 master cylinder which works very nice.....kind of kills two birs with one stone since any brake upgrade will show the forsk up.

Daz
Wheelie_Ben

Post by Wheelie_Ben »

Cheers fellas. Bet the 916 front end looks stunning mate, finish the bike off like Honda should of done in the first place! :roll:

Steve
stormsmasher

Post by stormsmasher »

Have a look in the photo gallery under show off section and you can see for yourself mate.

Daz
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Before spending any of your hard earned cash then the first thing to do is to make sure all of the pisting in your front callipers are moving freely. Give them a good clean with some brake fluid on some cotton buds to remove the crap from them. You'll probably notice a big difference straight away.

After that I'd go for braided lines. If you go for after market HH pads on the standard disks you'll probably warp them fairly quickly ( like I did ). I then got a set of EBC Pro-lite disks which made a huge difference once they were bedded in. They come with a layer of nickle plate to protect them from corrosion so they don't seem to be very good untill the layer has worn off. My advice would be to change one disk at first and let that bed in, then do the other side.

Al.
BlackHawk

Post by BlackHawk »

I put on Zeigler braided lines, front, rear, and clutch, with EBC HH pads. It made a HUGE difference!!!! First time I grabbed the front at highway speed I grabbed it like I would have with the old pads and hoses and I damn near stoppied!!!!!

Try these mods first. You will love them. Also, change your brake fluid annually. Dirty fluid isn't worth a damn.
There is no replacement for displacement.
chromedome

Post by chromedome »

I have fitted braided hoses along with a pair of PFM Supersport cast iron disks. These use the existing callipers, but you are advised to use organic pads instead of sintered. The braking performance is vastly improved. The disks cost me £290 for the pair.