how do u adjust the timing

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
scotty

how do u adjust the timing

Post by scotty »

hi how do you actually change the timing ??? ive fitted a front cct usibg the instructions from here ,, but if the timing is out how do i actually adjust it to put it right ????
Allways in the sh1t !! , its just the depth that varies ;o)
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

Sounds like you've got it 180 degree's out......I'm surprised its running. You can't really alter the ignition timing as that taken care of by the ignition module and the pickup on the flywheel.

Check that you've got the cam timing correct. You need to line up the FT mark on the fly wheel and make sure that the marks on the cam sprockets line up with the top of the cylinder head. That will be TDC on compression stroke.........I Think, yep I'm sure that right. Got a Haynes Book of Lies?
scotty

Post by scotty »

lol bike starts up fine , sounds lovely especially after fitting new cct to the front cylinder , its now back firing as soon as i let the clutch out . i think the front cam chains jumped . so how do i actually adjust it ???

any help be greatly appreciated !! ,
cheers
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

Take it to bits and start again. Get the cylinder at TDC on compression stroke. Take the cam cover off and check the marks on the cam sprockets. If theyt don't line up with the top of the cylinder head then you know its wrong. Take cam chain off and realign, refit cam chain/fit tentioner or release from withdrawn pos. TURN THE ENGINE OVER BY HAND 4 revolutions and re check. DO NOT USE THE STARTER.....in fact disconnect the battery..........
scotty

Post by scotty »

spot on mate !! cheers for yer help !! i'll try again tomorrow :o( as its pissing wi rain here ,,, as soon as its sorted i'll post an let ye kno how it is ... again cheers
scotty

Post by scotty »

lmao ya dont fancy a wee spin down to southampton Barry ??? :wink:
beer an bacon sarnie's will be supplied :lol:
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

If I'd read your last reply sooner it would have been a possibility, but I went out and had a skinfull last night. Southampton is about an hour from me with some "interesting" roads on the way........
scotty

Post by scotty »

i nknow i'm being a complete pain in the ass lol once the rear has been timed and all is correct , the cam lobes should be facing each other and the re and the ri marks on the cam sprockets should be facing away from each other , but level with head ?? once engine has been turned 1 1/4 anitclockwise and the ft mark is aligned , correct marks on front sprockets should be fe on left and fi on right flush with head and facing outwards,, But just to check,,, where should the front lobes be facing ????

yeah i am a pain in the ass lol but cheers :wink:
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

fook knows. you've lost me!? What cylinder are are checking the cam timing on. What cam/s have you removed or the chain jumped on?
scotty

Post by scotty »

lol i'm doing thr front cylinder ,, the front sprocket fe is facing laft flush with head so thats right , the cam lobe is also facing to the left , the right sprocket . fi is facing to the left also, which from the haynes book should be facing outwards to the right , ..... which way do i turn the sprpocket to line it up right ???
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8326

Try this very useful 'sticky' from Sirch man!!!
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

scotty wrote:lol i'm doing thr front cylinder ,, the front sprocket fe is facing laft flush with head so thats right , the cam lobe is also facing to the left , the right sprocket . fi is facing to the left also, which from the haynes book should be facing outwards to the right , ..... which way do i turn the sprpocket to line it up right ???
It sounds like you are almost there :!: As you say the front camshaft (FE) is set in the correct position for the front cylinder, and the rear camshaft (FI) (also on the front cylinder) needs re-setting as you've described. I would say the FI camshaft needs to be turned clockwise to re-align it, although I would have thought that would be fairly obvious really. As the FE sprocket it set correctly, before you start lifting the camchain off the FI sprocket to adjust it, it might be a good idea to cable tie the camchain to the FE cam sprocket so it can't move :!: But don't forget to remove it once you've finished :!:

Chris.
scotty

Post by scotty »

i used that sticky to replace the front cct ,, was a doddle ! prob is when the cct went up the creek , its jumped . on fixin bike all back together she started up lovely and on tick over was perfect . in first gear as soon as i let out the clutch she started to backfire , telling me that the front cylinder timing was out ... prob i got now is timinf tjhe front cylinder!! should have left it well alone and put it in the garage lol now got a massive migrain an my baby's in bits !! .

right at this moment in time i've got the rear cylinder set up perfectly ,, when i try to line up the front i cant turn the engine to line up the ft marks on the alternator cover as its jamming ,, soooooo ive obviously buggered up me pride an joy :cry:

how do i sort it ?? i'm not a mechanic as ya can tell :oops:

soooo looks like i gota take cam chain off and rest all from scratch,, How do i do it ??? pleeeeeaaaaassseeeee v help .
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

LSM, don't think thats gonna help him tbh. Scot, you'r going to need to remove the camchain from the sprocket to re align the mark. Easy'ish job follow the destructions in your haynes book of lies.

BUT make sure you have the crank in the right position before you start dismantling things.....jeeze its alot easier to explain if the bike is in front of me.......!

On the whole it sounds as if the inlet on the front cylinder has jumped a tooth or three. Get the cylinder to TDC on the Compression stroke. From what you say the exhaust cam is in the correct position. Work from there and realign the inlet. That should be job done.......you hope
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

hmmm......you have taken the spark plugs out.......haven't you?