sell the vtr to buy a newer 600? should I?.....

General Bike chat
twinbrd

sell the vtr to buy a newer 600? should I?.....

Post by twinbrd »

was thinking of selling the vtr for a newer 600. I ride mostly 2-3 hour canyon runs once or twice a week and a track day once every month or so

will I hate it? the new 600's have as much or more hp as a vtr and are MUCH lighter and turn and brake MUCH quicker, but I am worried about "feeling" like I don't have enough power and I am not sure I want to spend the cash and insurance hike on a liter bike.

any thoughts?
stormy 1

Post by stormy 1 »

Hi mate,I would say the storm if set up right can steer nearly as quick.As for same HP yes on paper but you have to work them to get it ie storm,9000rpm-cbr6,13000rpm,not to mention the lack of torque.In my opinion and Ive had a 400 and 600 bikes they just seem like hard work :wink: .
noise polution?,you should see my MPG!!!
VTR1000fw,scorpian cans,dynojet and K&N all wrapped up in HRC colours.I need a HRC avatar!.
Tony_tbone

Post by Tony_tbone »

I've read great things about the 600RR but I haven't riden one. I think you should take one out on a test ride and see if you can live with the lack of torque. I've heard that 600's in general have no power compared to the V-Twins. I have a friend who has a 600 and he complains that there is no power until you get it up to 8500 RPMs so power coming out of the corners kind of sucks but top end is good. If you like going fast in the corners stick with a twin. If you like top speed the 600 will be great.

I really think that you would have an easier transition to an RC51. They get rave reviews in all the mags. I've read two different articles that rated the RC51 over the RSV Mille and the new Ducati 999! ...However, it doesn't have the cool looks or the lightness of the new 600RR...but maybe they'll change that soon.
'98 VTR1000F - Superhawk 996
Dallas, TX
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Nahh, my plan is to drop the VTR engine in the new CBR600, watch this space.

Del.
T-Bird

Post by T-Bird »

I would say stick with the vtr.

I used to have a zx-6r but got fed up with having to keep the revs above 10,000rpm to get anywhere fast. I sold it to a mate of mine and then bought the vtr, and it's interesting going out for rides with my friend on the old bike. Basically, he can keep up if he nails it all the time, but his general comment is that it's really hard work to keep up with the vtr (and I'm a slow rider!).

I don't think it would be easy to get used to the lack of torque and low rpm gutlessness of a 600 after a big twin.
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

I had a ride on a 2003 CBE 600 a couple of weeks ago. Great little bike screaming revs everywhere, BUT when I got back on the storm and realise how good the torque was from the mid range, it made me think it ' it will be a long time before i buy another 4 cylinder bike'.

I think its a case of you love the V twin power delivery or your a screaming 4 cylinder man.

V twin for me every time. :lol:
twinbrd

Post by twinbrd »

thanks for the help guys....I guess I pretty much knew the answers, but wanted to solidify them.

still a little torn though....I don't mind workin for the power, I always enter a corner in the top of the revs anyway, for a quick exit and I red line the vtr in every gear almost all the time so I am used to that.

But, maybe over time it is too much work for the little motor, I know that I would be above 10K rpm ALL them time

who knows, maybe a gixxer 750 would be a good in between. I will take a spin on an RC51 before I decide.
Tony_tbone

Post by Tony_tbone »

I would definately try to go on a hard test ride on the 600RR and the RC51 before you decide. I bet you'll love the RC51's power. If you want a bike with killer looks and power go for the Duke 999 but you'll have to spend around $18000 US just for the base model. You could just about buy 2 bikes (a 600RR and a VTR) for that kind of change.
Dallas, TX
Tony_tbone

Post by Tony_tbone »

Hey Twinbrd, You may want to check out the new CBR1000RR:

http://www.mc.honda-eu.com/flash_conten ... 000_c.html
Dallas, TX