Stupid, stupid and stupid!

General Biker Banter
Red

Stupid, stupid and stupid!

Post by Red »

Yes you guessed I did something stupid,

Had the nearest escape from coming off my bike today 8O

Was on the Southport coast road and was doing about 60 coming up to some traffic and decided to slow down, accidently knocked right through the gears and probably into second and let the clutch out :roll: Well as you can probably guess the back end locked up good style. My bike snaked for what seemed to be an eternity (probably a few seconds).

Decided to stay with the bike and thank god just managed to keep her upright. Went off the road though into embankment just missing a wooden post. Smell of burnt rubber was rife.

Learned my lesson, could have been a lot worse if the car behind hadn't slowed down :oops:

Just got some new leathers too and thought I nearly put them to the test.
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.
Red

Post by Red »

Not Bridgestone Kaz, but the sure saved my ass. Got a nice patch of worn rubber though! :lol:
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

You need a slipper clutch mate :wink: :wink: :wink:
Red

Post by Red »

Yep or possibly a less heavier foot, have to take the lead out of my left boot Mellis :lol:
Bondy

Post by Bondy »

I had little lock ups in the wet but nothing like you just explained.
Good to hear you stayed on though, theres been far to many this year already.
To stupid to live to young to die.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Why didnt you just pull the clutch back in?
Rich.

Red

Post by Red »

I should have done that in hindsite Rich, but when it happens in a split second and the butt end is tryin to throw you off like a wildcat :lol:

Its due to inexperiance too, only been ridin for best part of a year. Still got a lot to learn. Nearly learned the hard way though :roll: :lol:

Chris
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Glad you made it OK!

I found coming from an across-the-frame-four Suzuki with more revs and less torque it meant I wasn't sure what gear I was in on the VTR and did that lock-up thing a few times when approaching roundabouts/islands in what I thought was third, knocking it to second but actually it was first. Big jump between 1st and 2nd! Agggggggghhhhhh.
I fitted an Acumen digital gear indicator and that was a great help and still is very useful (plus it's a good 'boyz toy' gadget).

http://www.riderstation.com/DG8.php

"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I fitted a digigear indicator for the same reason - flying down the B1057 near Finchingfield with my mate on his CBR600RR behind. Decided to drop to second for a sharp bend - trouble was I already was in 2nd and the mirror filled with red CBR pretty quickly! Managed to click up into 2nd again and haul her over again so no damage done.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Jeez Louise!!! 8O
Rev counter people. Don't be afraid to Use it. 8O

Oh! and try letting the clutch our between every gear on the down shift.

Pete.l
Bondy

Post by Bondy »

I,m still yet to experience changing bikes(the storn is my first) and im kind of dreading it, I rode me mates R1 the other day and hated it. It was just so unpredictable next to the storm.
To stupid to live to young to die.
Red

Post by Red »

I tried my brothers CB600F at the weekend an old 1997 model it felt really weird kind of light and buzzy. It was deceptively fast though. At least on the Storm you feel that low down grunt.

I have rode my girlfriends TDM 900 a few times, but the high handlebar position takes some getting used to. I noticed the TDM really handel's well on twistys too.