Strange 'electrical' fault with possible dire consequences!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
LotusSevenMan

Strange 'electrical' fault with possible dire consequences!!

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Those 'dire consequences are me running out of fuel due to not knowing what distance I've covered since the last fill up.

Turn the bike ignition on. Total mileage reading comes on. Set trip by pushing the sqaure rubber button. Ride off etc fine. Turn ignition off and stop somewhere (as in a new Triumph dealer opening today in Ashford Kent. Well I won a free 15.00 'T' shirt in the draw so OK).
A couple of hours later go to start it. Iginition on. Mileage shows total so push the trip and it shows zero miles again. If the stop is about ten minutes its fine & still shows last trip reading. Longer times and it resets itself!!!!!!!
I've thought at first I was being clumsy with the reset but no; it definitely reverts to zeros whatever.

Any ideas why it is losing the memory (mutter, mumble never had these problems with a twiddly knob cable operated number reset etc blah blah)
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Happened again today. Wonder if at startup it just pulls too much current and the display thinks it has been disconnected? :(
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

LotusSevenMan wrote:Happened again today. Wonder if at startup it just pulls too much current and the display thinks it has been disconnected? :(
That's rather annoying LSM :!: You don't think it's anything to do with your speedo healer by any chance :?:
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Nah, does it with or without it connected. It is almost like when the starter kicks in it momentarily pulls so much juice it removes the memory feature of the trip. Might be a battery fault I guess.
I am going to experiment with setting the trip to show as I start up rather than odometer and see if that works. Don't like relying on the WL of D for fuel reminders etc.
beckster

Post by beckster »

In one of your posts i think you said you had a sigma fitted,why don't you use the trip feature on that until you figure out the problem with the clocks.
If it ain't broke,fiddle with it!