Touring concerns

General Biker Banter
poshman

Touring concerns

Post by poshman »

Me and a mate are planning a trip to spain (on the bikes of course) for a two week trip :D , but im concerned about the poor tank range! :( ( i know youve all heard it before) has anyone ever come acropper on the continent because of this issue? Ive already bought a syphon pump just in case i need to get some out my mates zxr! Im also looking at buying a sat nav as they have listings of petrol stations as we will be doing the back roads and not motorway stuff if we can help it. (anyone recomend a sat nav? ive heard bad things about the tom tom rider) Thanks for your help
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Biggest problem I've had is the petrol stations not taking anything but French credit cards
Lost count of the number of times I've had to loiter round waiting for a local I could pay cash to

But on the flip side the ones one the autoroutes are generally 24/7 attented
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Bondy

Post by Bondy »

You could carry a jerry can or a bleach bottle(read somewhere someone had done this as an emergency measure) full of fuel. i'm lookin at doin some tourin next year so any ideas let me know too.
To stupid to live to young to die.
Jason

Post by Jason »

A friend of mine used this, it was two fuel bottles like these and use a cheap rucsack to carry them got an extra 2 liters.

Bondy

Post by Bondy »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They look pretty robust where d you get em from?
To stupid to live to young to die.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I never went as far as Spain on the Storm, but when in France just topped up every 80 miles or so. Some fuel stations are tucked away.

When I had the hard luggae on the Storm I would sometimes carry a 5l petrol can in there, but however you do it you have to stop so I just topped up regularaly like I said.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

simon t

Post by simon t »

1. Like Stratman says, fill up every time you see a petrol station. Yes, it was me with the bleach bottle. Didn't need to use it though.

2. I have a French bank account and the carte bleue was useful - automatic stations don't take Visa. Sunday and sometimes Monday the shops are closed in rural areas.

3. Plan your route to take in a few reasonable sized towns and possibly motorway services and you'll be fine.

4, Have fun :D