tires...anyone fit a 190 on the rear?

General Bike chat
twinbrd

tires...anyone fit a 190 on the rear?

Post by twinbrd »

The title says it all....will a 190/50-17 fit on a stock VTR and is it safe?
stormy 1

Post by stormy 1 »

I would guess it will go but why make you storm stear even slower?.
noise polution?,you should see my MPG!!!
VTR1000fw,scorpian cans,dynojet and K&N all wrapped up in HRC colours.I need a HRC avatar!.
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Not sure about fitting , you will need to check the width of your swinging arm.

But it will slow the stering down.
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

My bike had been running with a 190 just prior to me buying it. The only thing different as far as I could see was that the guy had to cut a small vee out of the standard chain cover where it must have fouled.Mind you.....it could have been where he stashed his Zippo !?? 8O
twinbrd

Post by twinbrd »

thanks guys...I didn't even think about slowing down the turning and you are right...I would not like this bike to turn any slower.
vtrick

190's

Post by vtrick »

I have a 190 fitted to my 01, storm. There was no modding at all to get it to fit. I like it, more than the 180, seems to be more stable. I had the fork tubes dropped 6mm. at the same time so I think that any slowing down was negated with dropping the front.
Oh by the way, I will be perticipating in my first track day, any suggestion, for me about storms and track days. Thanks.
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Vtrick.

You need to be very careful on your first trackday. You may have the same problem that I had on my first track day back in May...

I enjoyed it so much that I had to do another one and then went stupid and bought an SP2 !!! Now I'm hooked.

The Firestorm was fantastic around Donington. Mine was bog standard apart from Scorpion cans. The Storm easily outbraked everyone in the intermediate group and because it was easy to get on power nice and smoothly in the corners you cold hold off the faster bikes down the straights. Fantastic fun.

No problems with overheating or brake fade despite giving it an absolute thrashing.

The smile on your face as you circulate faster than some of the guys on R1's GSXR1000's etc will be worth the entrance fee.

Enjoy!!
LOOPY
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

My friend has fitted a 190 rear and didnt need to modify the bike any way. Its only .5mm extra either side of the tyre so its not a massive amount. The only thing it will do is slow the cornering down but to be honest my friend didnt notice it much and you probably wont either.
vtrick

track day.

Post by vtrick »

I can't wait to go. How do you find the sp2 on the track. I have two friends with an sp1 and an sp2. I have been juggling with the Idea of getting one myself. But inlew of all the talk of a new 2004 firestorm, i've been holding off.