wheelie help...once again...

General Bike chat
twinbrd

wheelie help...once again...

Post by twinbrd »

Hi there, been a while since I've posted....got a new Subura I'v been playin' with :twisted:

Anyway, I know I've asked this before, but I am having trouble with wheelies. Now I even have the 15T front sprocket and everyone tells me I should be able to pull this bike up in 2nd w/ out clutching it. I can't seem to find the sweet spot, sometimes it will do little power wheelies and sometimes nothing at all. But never does it just come all the way up.

Any advice?....
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Hey there buddy. get a "Factory" ignition advancer fitted, K&N or BMC air filter, a set of pipes, and get the carbies rejetted. I would suggest getting it set up on a dyno for max power. Then all I found with lifting the front in second gear sans clutch is that it will take off when the throttle is FULLY opened at 5000rpm. This with standard gearing is the equivalent of 80km per hour, or for those still in the imperial dark ages it would be approx 50mph. You may find that a little rise in the road is needed, or that it needs a bit of a tug on the bars but it will lift trust me. Bouncing it off the front shocks is another technique which requires practise to get right but it helps some ppl too.

Hope it all goes well for you, and don't stand on the pillion seat doing them. I looped mine out doing it in shorts and a tee-shirt. I did however have the standard issue Japanese safety boots on though (AKA: sandals).
it wasn't a pleasant experience getting a ride to the local hospital for treatment and then having to explain to the MRS as to how it happened and why I was selling the bike to my friendly insurance company.

Once again good luck.

Stu. :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:
Pete

Post by Pete »

Four words that could save you flipping it: Cover the back brake!!!!
Peter Brennan.
BP team

don't need a little sprocket in 2nd

Post by BP team »

after some training, now i can do wheelies without clutching up.i've the standard sprocket and settings.
first i do that in 1st, but it were to dangerous and difficult to do more than 30 meters.
after i start to clutching up in 2nd and learn to do 500m on the rear wheel.
i succes sometime to do 1-2-3 or 2-3-4 but as for me there no use to change the gear when i see a friend doing 1.8Km (more than 1 mile) on the rear wheel in 2nd, and usually doing 1km without diffiulty (he's got a 12 bandit full power). he was always telling me "you don't need to clutch up"
Now i do that without clutching up in 2nd and do the same distance i did (not 1 mile!). i wonder why, 2month ago, i use a clucth up!
for the one who wants to know the methode :
In 2nd, accelerate. Arriving at 5000rpm cut the gas very quickely(1/4s) and open it. the front wheel will go up and it's a question of high to do a long distance.
:twisted: :lol: :twisted: :wink:
Oliv'
smokin joes

Post by smokin joes »

Easy mate,

second gear, constant 4,500 rpm, shut off, open up (quickly) and she WILL lift, how far (didtance) you go depends on how high you have the front wheel, once you find the "sweet spot" aka balance point, simply apply a litttle pressure to the rear brake, whilst adding a bit of throttle, this way you can hold it up for ever !!
The other way of course is to gently accelerate, I mean only a fraction of throttle here, as you get to the rev limiter you might want want to change up the box, drop off the throttle a little and kick it into the next gear.

Enjoy

Geoff M
Sex is like air. It only becomes really important when you aren't getting any.
Tony_tbone

Post by Tony_tbone »

Smokin Joe and BP, Thank you very much for the info about second gear, taking it to 4500 - 5000 RPMs, dropping off and then giving it more juice. That was the best wheelie advice I've heard! It helped me a lot. I appreciate it! Have a good one!

Tony =)
'98 VTR1000F - Superhawk 996
Dallas, TX
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

So does that mean it works????? just of the throttle, no clutch????

(havnt got big enough cahoonas to try it meself!!!)

biggest i've ever managed was a little skipping in 1st.....
smokin joes

Post by smokin joes »

Dont worry about flippin it mate, otherwise you will !! 8O
My best advice would be to try this in SECOND, not first !!
sit down, relax, keeping your arms slightly bent, Dont go stiff otherwise when it does come up your straight arms will open the throttle even more,
Stay loose on the bike, the gyroscopic effect of the front wheel spinning will keep the front wheel in line, so dont worry about that yet.

Your inbuilt self preservation mechanism will tell you to shut off, and you will, keep trying, little by little, get used to the sensation of the front wheel going light before you try a proper minger !!!

Do this alone !!!!! with an audience you will do one of two things, either try too hard and we all know what happens then, or you wont do it at all and look a pratt infront of your mates.

The secret here is gently does it, six inches will feel like three feet, (no kidding!) If you have a trusted friend, who wont laugh at you or tell everyone that you cant do it, get them to video it, you will be amazed at how low you really are, when it feels like a vertical wheelie.

Once you have learned to ignore the "Oh sh1t, the front wheel is in the air, shut the throttle" sensation, then try to be a bit more "brutal".

Practice practice practice, thats the answer, I have a few riends who are fiendishly fast riders, but can no way hook it up, either through fear of gobbing it, or the absolute loss of bodily functions when the front goes light. :?

Some schools of thought use the "overgripping technique"
This is where you actually roll your hand a little further forward round the throttle, so, in effect when your hand is in the normal position, the throttle is about a quarter open. Personally I dont like this method, for me it caused the bars to twist, and thats bad, landing crossed up is a real shitter.

practice, practice, practice, little by little by little, softly softly catchee monkey. :lol:

I'm no expert but if you need any more help, let me know.

Geoff M
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Hmmm

can anyone guess what i'll be trying on the way home from work (on a quiet road)..........

Cheers m8........

will let you know how i get on.........(assuming i havnt broken my neck) :wink:
smokin joes

Post by smokin joes »

Before you do, a word of advice !!!!!

Drive up and down the road a few times and make sure you can see at least 500 yards ahead. Also check for side roads, and potholes etc, obvios I realise but better safe than sorry.

Can I suggest a stretch of road then has a grassy bit as a run off, just in case it gets out of hand. I froze once and the damn thing did not come down until it hit the rev limiter !!! sh1t meself...best to put it down on grass than tarmac.

bear in mind, ten 3" wheelies under control are less expensive than one 3 footer that ends in tears..

You can do it !!!!

ENJOY.
let me know how you go on.....

then we can talk about how to change gear hehehehe

500 yards..easy peasy, slow is best, looks better as well.

There was a guy at a local meet near here on Thursday, wheelying at about 50 mph on a gixer 750, in second gear, all noise and over in flash !!!

Much more impressive is the 30 mph "100 yd fly by" on a v twin, sounds better too...

geoff m
BP team

Post by BP team »

Smokin joes,
you're really clear in this explainations. that's exactly what i felt when i trained myself in the first times. agree with all you said. everyone can trust this provides
may be you'can help me for 2 problems i've.
1°) I have difficulties to stay in balance to do very very long wheelies. when i'm in the balance point i can't see the road since my fairing is in front of me. so i look the road and my way by the side of the car but it's more difficult, i feel... furthmore i never think to use the rear brake... how do you do to see the road.
2°) can you help me to do what i call "rolling stoppies". i just success rolling 3-4 meters the max. my problem is that 2 times / 3, my front wheel slide without my rear wheel goes up, and i don't know why the next time, doing exactly the same, i success. if you know the good method, can you help me?! :wink:
enjoy
oliv'

welshy

Post by welshy »

Stand up! No problems seeing then![/b]
Welshy :-)
Bikeless :-(
Scott Malcolm

Post by Scott Malcolm »

This topic has really got me pumped up. I can't wait to get the hell outta work and go pull some wheelies!!! I was trying to take it easy on my bike :roll: Oh well!! :D
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

BP team wrote: 2°) can you help me to do what i call "rolling stoppies". i just success rolling 3-4 meters the max. my problem is that 2 times / 3, my front wheel slide without my rear wheel goes up, and i don't know why the next time, doing exactly the same, i success. if you know the good method, can you help me?! :wink:
enjoy
oliv'
Oliv,
MOST IMPORTANT, make sure your front tyre is hot
Then you need to make sure your weight is high on the bike.
Clamp the tank with your knees and make sure you've got no weight on the pegs
Then brake hard and as you feel the weight transfer more and more to the front wheel, squeeze a little bit more brake on.

As with the wheelie, get confident doing them from slow speed to stopped then build up your speed
The key is to get the brake on HARD as soon as poss, otherwiseyou'll have stopped by the time the rear wheel lifts

Ben
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

OK OK OK

now it's official........you're all loonies !!!!!!!!!!

ps, managed ickle front wheel bouncing last night....think i need to keep practising....... :wink: