Rip off Briton again!

General Biker Banter
Fireman on a Storm

Rip off Briton again!

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

I know this is not bike related, but it does pee me off :x

I have just received this mouthpiece for my son's cornet.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bach-3-C-Cornet-M ... 0QQitemZ33 0045209789QQihZ014QQcategoryZ41398QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

I took a chance buying on eBay for the first time, and got it for £16 including p&p fro the USA to London.

A standard silver plated Bach 3c is £43 in music shops over here in sunny England. As you can see from the link the one I received was gold plated.

When the mouthpiece arrived in its original box (it was brand new) the USA price was $48.50 which works out to £25.50.

I can only assume that either music shops have a fantastic profit margin or the Bach supplier is ripping off the UK shops.

It can't be shipping cost because the p&p from my order was only £2.63 from Kentucky to London I know this is not bike related
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Fireman

You're right. I've discovered a number of things are cheaper if you get them frpm the States - even if you get clobbered for VAT, as happens occasionally.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Fireman

My son played clarinet and sax at school, and we always bought his stuff through Schools Music Service (if they have that where you live) cost was approx 50-60% of price in shops.

Gavin
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Gavin wrote:Fireman

My son played clarinet and sax at school, and we always bought his stuff through Schools Music Service (if they have that where you live) cost was approx 50-60% of price in shops.

Gavin
I did looked into this when I was looking for a trumpet last year for my 11 year old. I ended up buying a second hand/restored Vincent Bach trumpet from the USA and saved a small fortune. I have found that if you don't mind a second hand/restored instrument you can get a better quality one for less money.
I will look again next year when I need to get a clarinet for my youngest. He has a school yamaha now but it will have to go back when he goes to secondary school.
chaz

Post by chaz »

I bought front and rear sprockets and 3 brake cables for a ATC110 new from a dealer on ebay shop. worked out cheaper inc p&p than the rear sprocket alone cost here.
only thing with 'importing' is the duty.
I bought MAico motoplat and points assembly from USA for $45 the seller put value of $100 on box and the customs at Bristol Airport did me for £38 in their fees, tax and import duty.
I Imported a Pontiac Firebird, title in my name , Southampton customs charged 10% of sticker price +17.5% of that added that to value of car and charged me the vat on that total.

3 years later the dash failed, (lcd like nightrider) only place I could get repaired was in the states, sent old one they repaired and tested $400, I had to pay duty on it when it came back for the repair, even tho the thing was mine that I sent out!!

only answer when buying used parts is to get the seller to write used motorcycle parts and put value of less than £28 on the lable.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It does make you mad :evil:

One thing (now we're on the subject of a moan) that really annoys is VAT being charged on things like secondhand car spares, it really grips me when I go to pay at the breakers and I have to pay VAT on them, considering VAT was already charged on the vehicle when it was sold new :!:
chaz

Post by chaz »

I will add, we used to have a villa in Florida up to 9/11. sold it the following March as couldnt get any takers wanting to fly.
When we sold firstly we had to pay part of the buyers fees, secondly the % rate for estate agents is between 7 and 15% finally, the IRS (tax man) takes 10% of the sale price.
the only chance you get of getting that refunded is if you make a loss on the sale. We had to employ a certified accountant ($800) to prove we made a loss, we bought it in the June before 9/11. managed to make a loss, so got the $17,000 back, trouble is with exchange rates low as they are now its worth less than we took it over. Its in a US bank not earning interest as we would have to declare the intrest and pay the IRS a %age!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

chaz wrote:I will add, we used to have a villa in Florida up to 9/11. sold it the following March as couldnt get any takers wanting to fly.
When we sold firstly we had to pay part of the buyers fees, secondly the % rate for estate agents is between 7 and 15% finally, the IRS (tax man) takes 10% of the sale price.
the only chance you get of getting that refunded is if you make a loss on the sale. We had to employ a certified accountant ($800) to prove we made a loss, we bought it in the June before 9/11. managed to make a loss, so got the $17,000 back, trouble is with exchange rates low as they are now its worth less than we took it over. Its in a US bank not earning interest as we would have to declare the intrest and pay the IRS a %age!!
A rather odd sounding arrangement, I wonder if it would have been the same if you were living in Amercia :!:
chaz

Post by chaz »

aparently the tax issue on houses applies to residents as well, they dont tell you this part on house buying progs on tv.
not to mention management companies that rip you off ( even British based ones) example to change a 50cent battery in a pool door alarm cost us $25. bearing in mind these people are in Home Depot with an account every day, and in your house cleaning and cutting grass.
The surveyor for our buyer caused a problem (in his eyes) as the hot and cold taps were on the wrong sides on the bathroom suite, management company said they would sort for $350!! part of the real estate agents job is to have someone at standby. It cost $80 thru them, but this was a one off payment which covered any repairs.

as an update for the importing of parts, have just received notification from HM Customs regarding duty on my recent delivery of MAico bits...

basically...
all goods sent from outside the EU are liable to Duty and Vat if valued over £18. if a gift from a private person the limit is raised to £36.
Duty is due on total including local sales tax, postage,insurance and packing charges.

SO with proof from ebay/paypal payment means I get a refund of £5.02 for the overcharge of duty and vat but still have to pay the £8 Royal rip off for the privelege of them handling the parcel.

moral is, that if buying spares from abroad you could get the seller to write Gift under description and £30 (in $or currency) in value inc insurance, but remember Customs HAVE the right to open a package to check contents so if he labels as $30 you may get caught if he includes invoice showing you paid over.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Very interesting Chaz, perhaps the UK isn't so bad after all :!: :wink: Also handy to know about the importing of parts charges etc :!: