Need advice on oil

General Bike chat
rst steve

Need advice on oil

Post by rst steve »

Ok had some problems with my dealer with regards to the ccts on my 1998 firestorm to cut a long story short they needed replacing when i bought the bike which should have been done along with a 20000 mile service when i picked the bike up 3 months ago. They where not done on the pdi so the bike had to go back in to have them done which where done about a month ago. In the time i have owned the bike i have done about 1200 miles on it and my problem is the oil in the bike is jet black and the filter has rusted around the shiny rim where it screws on. Would the oil go jet black and the filter rust in just 1200 miles?or am i just being daft and thinking that the dealer is ripping me off. I have been back to the dealer today to ask them if the oil and filter were changed when i picked the bike up and they said yes and it was changed again when the ccts were done so this means that the oil has only done about 500 miles and is jet black and the filter is still rusty. What would you do?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It does seem a little extreme imo, that's one of the reasons I like to carry out my own servicing, obviously not everyone is able to do that. If it were me I'd change the oil and filter myself for peace of mind.

Chris.
dookie

Post by dookie »

My advice m8 , go buy buy 4 litres of semi synth and a filter and change it yourself.
Should only be about £30 and you will know for sure then.
There was a time i used to care
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Can't say on the bike, but the Caterham 7 sports car turns it's highly expensive fully synthetic Mobil 1 oil black inside of 500 miles! I too was perturbed (to say the least) but am informed by all that this is fine. One chap just had brand new oil in his the night before a rolling road session just to be sure and that was black at the end of three hours too albeit some high for cars rpm's of 8,000.

Rust on the (turned non-painted steel) rim of the filter can happen very quickly. It's the inside you're worried about as in 'is it doing its job'. The rest is cosmetic.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

all the vtr's i have had have never turned the oil black and used to run it all year (snow/salt the lot) and never had a rusty oil filter. Oil was always as it was out of the can. But i did flush it slightly ever time i changed the oil and waited a few hours for it all to drain out.
stevieVTR

Post by stevieVTR »

Question I would be asking is.. have the CCTs really been changed?

I used to run mine all year, all weather and now it lives outside. my filter wasn't rusty when I changed it and the oild wasn't black after 4000 miles or so.
.... no more bike, divorce sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

dookie wrote:My advice m8 , go buy buy 4 litres of semi synth and a filter and change it yourself.
Should only be about £30 and you will know for sure then.

LOL beat me to it!

My oil used to go black pretty quickly but i was told that the age of the engine, external temp and various other factors will change this!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

Welcome back Del! I'm with Del. He built the engine in my bike and I changed it after 1500m and it was still a rich brown colour.
If you need advice on cct's then Del is your man, but I can't see how they would make a difference to the colour of the oil!? :?
Bikes and scorned women don't mix!
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Hi Robin, hows things mate.