Paddock stands

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
yellowtrev

Paddock stands

Post by yellowtrev »

Hi, just bought a Firestorm and enjoying it immensely.Got a couple of questions.
How and where do paddock stand bobbins fit?
Bulb has gone behind the speedo, is changing it a big job? Haven't received the manual yet.
Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards Trev.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Hi Trev
Picked up my 'Storm tonight(!!!) but the guy has just done this bulb change job. He said he only had to remove the three instrument binacle retaining bolts and then was able to pull the thing forward enough to get to the tacho bulb. This bike does have a double bubble screen so maybe you have to remove the std one. The bulbs are those all-glass-with-thin-wires-coming-out-of-the-bottom-and-then-folde-back-up types. Cost 55p each.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I did the same thing on my Storm as LotusSevenMan has just posted, a good point about the double bubble screen as mine also has one. My bike has the earlier type speedo/rev counter, a 1999 model :!:

Chris.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

LotusSevenMan wrote:The bulbs are those all-glass-with-thin-wires-coming-out-of-the-bottom-and-then-folde-back-up types. Cost 55p each.
Capless bulbs :wink:
Rich.

Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

WRT paddock stand bobbins, there's nowhere as standard you can fit them however you do have a couple of options

1. Get a lug welded on the bottom of the swingarm and tap it to accept the bobbin

2. Drill a hole in the wall of the swingarm and tap it to accept the bobbin

I'm not 100% how option 2 would affect the stiffness/ integrity of the swingarm but I seem to remember a few people have done it to their bikes (not Storms) and had no problems
Thoughts anyone?
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
dookie

Post by dookie »

Hope your enjoying your new storms lads :D :D :D

Oh and why not use a normal paddock stand they are good if you spend and get a micron or another good one , just dont buy one for £25 as they are shite :evil:
There was a time i used to care
SiJ

Paddock Stand Bobbins

Post by SiJ »

Regarding paddock stand bobbins R&G racing supply spindle sliders for the CBR 600 that will fit the VTR.

They cost about £35 all in and come with a tie bar and 2 poly bobbins that slips down the centre of the existing rear wheel spindle. You just about get enough clearance to lift the rear wheel off the floor.

It works out a bit cheaper than getting lugs welded on however if you want to go down this route Spondon Engineering in Derby will weld you some on and mirror polish your swingarm for about £140.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Si
kevg

Post by kevg »

Just a thought and is it obvious or am i being thick but how do you change the rear wheel if the R&G bobbin is through the wheel spindle, and the bike is on a stand using hooks.
these are swing arm crash protectors rather than paddock stand mushrooms. am i right?
cheerz

kev
SiJ

Bobbins

Post by SiJ »

Kev

Crash Protectors they are.

You can adjust the chain and they make lubing it a lot easier. If you're after swapping the wheel then you'll have to get the lugs welded on to the swingarm or use the cup type padock stands.

Cheers
Si
stevieVTR

Post by stevieVTR »

... or by an ABBA stand that pivots on the swingarm pivot?
.... no more bike, divorce sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

after years using paddock stand on the rear I splashed out on a ABBA stand and it works real well, and you can get both wheels of the ground and a kit which allows you to remove swing arm, athough cant see how that would work.

did think a metal bar through swing arm holes wth a couple of jacks might work ?
it may be clever, but its not big.
Styler4077

Post by Styler4077 »

Sorry for not being uptodate with things but what is an ABBA stand?
Could not find a link, can any one help

Stephen
Styler4077

Post by Styler4077 »

Dohooo
Sorry found some links now.
Looks good
yellowtrev

Post by yellowtrev »

Thanks for the advice all.

Went for the Abba stand option in the end and it is absolutely spot-on.

Well made,British,easy to use,single person operation,easy to get front wheel up and solid as a rock.

Cheers Trev.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Stormeruk wrote:Stuck my paddock stand in the bin after last weeks episode.. then again , it was crappily built , unknown origin , wobbly as a tramp on meths and about as easy to remove as a nun's undies The moral is , never be a cheapskate when it comes to paddockstands.
I'm obviously trying it on with the wrong kind of nuns :roll: Never happens for me.
Rich.