My storm is still sick

General Bike chat
craigybaby

My storm is still sick

Post by craigybaby »

:cry:

My baby storm is still ill. The dealer that I bought it from refuses to accept that there is something wrong with it so at the moment I'm stuck in a battle with the dealer and the finance company trying to solve the matter.

As you all know, i've whinged a bit about the bike vibrating but through various people road testing they all agree that the bike vibrates, misfires above 3k rpm and there's a strong smell of petrol when you come to a stop on the road.

The dealer says that there's nothing wrong with the bike and has said this on each of the 4 times it's visited the workshops.

Suggestions as to problems
* choke stuck on?
* one of the carbs is knackered
* sticking valve or in need of adjusting
* throttle position sensor

I put the bike on the dyno - its bog standard in settings.
The results are:
113 bhp @ crank
108 bhp @ gearbox
91bhp @ wheel - i think that makes it down on power. the operator also said that the bike was surging when it was on the dyno and i've picked this up too.

Any ideas/advice on
a) how to speed up the process of getting the dealer to solve it
b) what the likely problem is

I'm really fed up now. This problem has taken the shine off my "new bike" experience.

*sob sob*
Have you noticed when you're riding that everyone going slower than you is an idiot and everyone going faster than you is a maniac?
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Some things - just in case it might be of help...

1. Did dealer/mechanics ever tried to syncronise carbs?
2. If dealer have other Storm in the store - request test drive on it to compare.
3. Get to any garage with gas analyser and check levels of CO in exhaust fumes. You will immeadiately know if bike running too reach.
4. Check resistance on TPS if it is way off or not.

Can't say anything about talking to dealer - I managed to get up to Honda Europe management once on different matter with different bike and actually they did help. But it was Honda HQ in Germany, and I heard Hnda UK is much worse and less helpful.
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
craigybaby

Post by craigybaby »

The dealer has

balanced the carbs
changed both spark plugs (and accused me of trying to get the bike serviced on the sly)

CO emissions are 7% on fast idle. well above that of a car (0.5)

That result was just from the one pipe - didnt have anything to hand to block the other pipe. The hydrocarbons are above the limit for a car too 250ppm.

Haven't checked the throttle sensor - i dont have the right stuff and tbh I don't see why I should pay any more to find out what the matter is with it. I paid to have an independent honda bloke tell me the bike was defective. That's all I have to do. It should be up to the dealer to track the fault now and fix it.

Max has had a ride on the bike and isn't too keen on it - too vibey :)

Others have agreed.

I have written to the finance co and dealer asking for a full refund or a replacement bike of same specification and to my satisfaction but as you can imagine i'm well pi**ed off
Have you noticed when you're riding that everyone going slower than you is an idiot and everyone going faster than you is a maniac?
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Get in touch with these folk http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/, very, very helpful. They love getting stuck into companies that mess you about. Have a read through the site as well, a lot of eye opening stuff on there regarding consumer rights.
Rich.

eddvtr1000

Post by eddvtr1000 »

dunno, but ive heard if you get in touch with trading standards they might help.
also if they get involved i think you can go to the dealer and threaten them with legal action, loss of earnings etc.
and if all else fails go to the press, you have an independant honda techs opinion and if that doesnt work get a full refund and go else where.
stuff em :evil:
4 cyl = 2ltr , 2 cyl = 1ltr it's all relative.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

is it new? if not maybe it had a dyno jet kit fitted before and if it now has standard cans, was this kit removed along with the jets. does it have a K&N as it could be over oiled. hard to say without the bike.

You could try some stuff yourself, change the carbs if you can get a set, is it an import? get the chassis number checked out as some countries put out lower hp.

just trying to help.
craigybaby

Post by craigybaby »

Hey thanks for the advice.

The bike is genuine UK bike, 2nd hand.

2 owners from brand new - both fairly senior in age. Have got all the receipts and service history from the dealer - no mod cons such as dyno jet and K&n.

It's up to the dealer and finance company to sort out.

I'm not very impressed with the response I've had from Honda.

I emailed BIKE magazine but have yet to have a reply. Think i'll email MCN and RIDE too.

Any other suggestions?
Max

Post by Max »

Sorry to hear you are still having problems Craig.
Max

craigybaby

Post by craigybaby »

cheers max

i think 5 litres of premium unleaded and a match would solve the problem ;)

*im joking*
craigybaby

Post by craigybaby »

Hey

Has anyone suffered problems with misfiring here or vibration.

Im particularly interested in hearing any one who has felt their firestorm surging when holding it at a constant speed/throttle setting.

Any suggestions as to what could cause it?

Just a quick update about my storm..... it's gone back to the dealer today. They're gonna take the carbs off, the air box and plugs and strip them down.

I'm still not confident though.

The SV650 they've given me as a courtesy bike is ok apart from the fact it sounds like its farting instead of accelerating. :oops:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Check the exhaust gasket hidden by the swing arm at the rear.
That can make it run too lean when it blows.
The only other time I had a surging prolem was when I put some over size main jets in and had the needles set too low which made it too lean in the mid range and too rich at the top end.
Accelerated like stink but it wouldn't hold a steady speed :wink:

Pete.l
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I'd second the 'running too lean' theory

Mine used to do it after I fitted the Pipercross filter but before I got it rejetted

Make sure the carbs are seated properly on their seats, the seal with the airbox is ok, the filter is std, the lid fits ok and hasn't been butchered (search on here for airbox mods) the snorkel is still in place and the snokel feed pivot plate is down not up

After that you're into the realms of possible nastiness

Its quite possible if its done a few miles that the jet holes in the carb can go oval through wear.
If thats happened you'll NEVER get the fuelling right and the only repair is a new set of carbs. But tbh this causes the bike to runrich, not lean
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
craigybaby

Post by craigybaby »

im not sure that it is running lean though.

If it was then there wouldnt be a strong smell of petrol.

Infact, i don't know what the bloody matter is with it. I am very disappointed with the dealer though.
MrMastodon

Post by MrMastodon »

Watcha Craigybaby,

My VTR is still vibrating lots and generally performing quite poorly. A mix of mechanical ineptitide and lack of money has meant it has stayed the way it was when I bought it.

Vibrates pretty much more and more as revs increase. 5K is very bad (about 95mph). You can feel the pain as the revs rise (literall!). It feels like it's just dying for me to ease off. And very unresponsive too - a tiny delay when throttle is wound open. Not a very satisfying experience.

Smooth with clutch in. As far as I know, completely standard.

I can't beleive its in the ballpark of 100HP either.

BUT - I really do love it though, just being honest about it. Maybe with some nice open pipes and a tweak it'll be a different bike.
craigybaby

Post by craigybaby »

sounds like we're suffering from the same probs