Can you replace the air filter without unplugging the tank?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Tempest

Can you replace the air filter without unplugging the tank?

Post by Tempest »

Got a new oil filter (and oil) and thought may as well do the air filter as well (all done then)

I've loosened the tank off (whilst having a clean) and saw the pipes connected.

Is it possible to actually twist/turn/rotate (whatever) the fuel tank out of the way so you can easy do a air filter change, or is pulling all the pipes off and actually removing the tank from the bike the only way of getting clear access to the filter?

cheers.
beckster

Post by beckster »

Hi,i think if you have someone to hold the fuel tank vertical you shuld be able to do a quick change.
If it ain't broke,fiddle with it!
alan

air filter

Post by alan »

imo i dont think you will have enough room and i dont think the hoses will stretch that far but i might be proven wrong.

But why dont you just disconnect them anyway.
Tempest

Re: air filter

Post by Tempest »

alan wrote:imo i dont think you will have enough room and i dont think the hoses will stretch that far but i might be proven wrong.

But why dont you just disconnect them anyway.
Just have a thing about pulling pipes off which have nice petrol tight connections at the moment :)

Guess I don't want to mess anything up!
dookie

Post by dookie »

It is possible , just use some bunjees to hold it up to something above like the garage door , just make sure the tanks pretty low on fuel or it all comes out the overflow 8O
There was a time i used to care
kevg

Post by kevg »

yup, you can do it no problem, take out the two bolts at the front, and the one that crosses at the rear, the tank will then rotate back and if you have someone spare they can hold it, i just put a rag under it and it stood up by itself, prolly more luck than good judgement. allows access to the air box to change the filter.
cheerz

kev
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

If you take the seat off, leave the rear bolt in and just remove the front two bolts, It will lift up like a car hood. Shove a bit of 2b4 between the top of the yokes and the bottom of the tank (about 18 inches long) and it will act as a prop whilst you change the filter.
One man job and no pipes to remove :wink:
Pete.l
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

I thought there was a tank holder upper in the tool kit just for this job!
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Cheers for that.

I did kinda try the "remove the front screws and rotate back on the pivot/bolt" idea, but I thought things were getting a bit tight.

Must admit, did not try much as I did not have a filter to put in anyway.

Sounds do-able anyway.

Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Fireman on a Storm wrote:I thought there was a tank holder upper in the tool kit just for this job!
The tank holder is for lifting the rear end when you want to remove tha back spark plug. Mind you, I normally use a block of wood for that as well. It's not too stable uless you have the bike up on a paddock stand :oops:

Pete.l
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Just to say, another thanks for the advice.

New air filter arrived today, and managed to fit the new one in without removing the tank.

It was actually harder getting the old cover OFF and it was getting it back on again with the new filter.

Job done, so I'm sucking plenty of clean air in now... Many thanks :)
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

thats wierd, should be the other way round, take the tank off and check it :idea:
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

delmeekc wrote:thats wierd, should be the other way round, take the tank off and check it :idea:

Errrr, don't quite understand........ :?:
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

:twisted:
He He Hee! I do.
normally the top cover is difficult to fit back in place and takes a hell of a lot of wiggling before it sits properly.
I found the best way was to fit the filter into the top and then lay the whole lot down onto the bottom half.
Saves a whole lot of thumping and swearing :wink:

Pete.l
P.S Don't over tighten the screws, for anybody else that might change one soon, it's easy to strip the plastice threads.
dookie

Post by dookie »

Yeah if it went on realy easy you might have missed fitting the top into the rubber funnel at the front.
There was a time i used to care