Touring France

General Bike chat
Matthew

Touring France

Post by Matthew »

I just bought a secondhand VTR1000 (98) and am still learning how to ride it.

Has anyone any experience of touring on one of these things?
Like, whats it like for baggage and what kind of back, wrist and elbow pains set-in during each day?
Dylan Rogers

Touring France

Post by Dylan Rogers »

Just got back Saturday after 2 weeks over Vendee area. No problems with riding position only bit of vibration to right hand. You will have to keep an eye out for filling stations on smaller roads but large supermarkets best bet. Bought a monster cargo tail pack, lift off seat connect 4 loops of webbing around sub frame, replace seat leaving 4 loops sticking out, put on full tail pack and strap down tight with 4 straps. No movement, easy and quick to load/unload. Travel early am gets too hot later in day. Empty roads biker friendly police - enjoy. :D
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Re: Touring France

Post by firestorm_al »

Matthew wrote:I just bought a secondhand VTR1000 (98) and am still learning how to ride it.

Has anyone any experience of touring on one of these things?
Like, whats it like for baggage and what kind of back, wrist and elbow pains set-in during each day?
Funny you should mention that, I have a Nonfango Topbox rack for the VTR in my attic and could be persuaded to part with my top box as well if the price is right!

Alan.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Dylan Rogers wrote:Bought a monster cargo tail pack, lift off seat connect 4 loops of webbing around sub frame, replace seat leaving 4 loops sticking out, put on full tail pack and strap down tight with 4 straps. :D
Does the webbing come with the cargo pack, or is it your own system?

What did you use for "webbing"?
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

firestorm_al wrote: Funny you should mention that, I have a Nonfango Topbox rack for the VTR in my attic and could be persuaded to part with my top box as well if the price is right!

Alan.
Hi Alan, got any photos of that box and what kinda price it is?

How does it affect handling above 100 mph?

Matthew
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Top Box Rack -

Top Box Fitted -

The top box is Nonfango model 848 ( 48 litres ) and will take two full face helmets. It locks onto the rack with a key so is secure. ( no having to keep an eye on your luggage every time you stop and no buggering around with straps ).

No problems with stability as far as I was concerned. It's been to Italy and back and used for commuting without any problems. How does £80 + postage for both the box and the rack sound?

Alan.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I have fitted a Givi monorack and E460 box to mine, I have also fitted a baglux tank cover and tank bag which apart from protecting the tank, means that you dont have to worry about the magnets slipping!
I haven't experienced any stability problems with the top box but the tank bag pushes against my chest.
I dont know whether this is due to my shape or what but it may be cured by fitting bar risers.
Dylan Rogers

Matthew

Post by Dylan Rogers »

Webbing bought cheap from local camping shop 20mm wide cut into 4 x 12" lengths and stitched into 4 x loops. These can then be looped through seat sub frame and dangle from side of seat when put back on. Bought 4 x 18" tie down straps from same camp shop and these go through loops and through plastic hoops on 4 x corners of the top lid of the cargo tail pack really wacking it tight to the rear end. Really works well. :D