Headlight Bulbs (higher power ones)

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Tempest

Headlight Bulbs (higher power ones)

Post by Tempest »

Was in Halfords today (yes, I hang my head in shame!) :(

Saw their H4 rally bulbs

80/100 watt and 90/130 watt (I think)

I'm sure I've read some people are using these.

Wondered what the Pro's and cons are?

Buring out the wires, overheating the plastic headlight unit, killing the battery?

And also........

I've just bought a 55/60 philips 50% brighter bulb.

So, 55watt + 50% = 82.5 (equivalant)

Do I believe Philips marketing, and assume my 55/60w 50% brighter bulb is actually the same brightness as the rally 80/100 bulb?
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Higher power bulb IS likely to give all the problems you've mentioned
That said I know a few people who've run 100W for a while with no problems so what do I know? :lol:

anyhow, check out this thread for more headlight advice shenanigans
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewtopic ... powerbulbs
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
chaz

Post by chaz »

years ago we used to run 125w main beams in cars ( read 1970-1980) never had a problem as electrics were checked often, with regards to today, the sensors/fuses are so sensative along with relays they may cause a problem
rst steve

Post by rst steve »

Has anybody tried PIAA bulbs? Sell them in a car shop near me some of them are £85 a bulb 8O was goin to buy one but not sure as i dont often ride at night.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I tried 100w quartz's halogen bulbs in two of the four spotlights that I'd fitted to my car many years ago, with them switched on it was like driving in day light :!: but in the country lanes down here I found the 100w bulbs to be too bright, the light bounced back at you when it hit any big fluorescent road signs and you couldn't see any other vehicle coming to-wards you until the actual vehicle was in site, which at that point you'd already blinded him/her :!: so IMO the brightest is not always the best :!:
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

I tried one of those 90\130 bulbs , but it was just overheating and burning the connector which in turn tripped the light out , so i changed it back before it caused some permenent damage
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Thanks for the replies.

Out of interest, has anyone fitten (or seen) mini fairing spotlight's fitted to a storm?
Under the fairing, left and right of the main headlight?