Breakdown cover

General Biker Banter
markg

Breakdown cover

Post by markg »

Recently I picked up a puncture about 30 miles from home,the damage was so bad that even tyre weld would not keep the tyre inflated, I struggled home as luckily it was the back tyre and not the front(although the hugger got trashed),needless to say the tyre was totally fecked when I got home.The only good thing to come of this experience was replacing michelin road pilots with a set of Pirelli Diablo's which transformed the bike dramatically.
This got me thinking that I have been riding my luck for way too many years especially on long journeys and its about time I joined one of these breakdown recovery organisations(ie AA, RAC, Greenflag) If I join one i'd want it to cover both my Bike and car. Has anyone any recommendations as to who is good and who is bad? In the past i've seen some negative press about some of the big organisations being less than bike friendly.
Any advice greatly recieved :)
baldzone

Post by baldzone »

Got insurance with carol nash. Not the cheapest but includes breakdown recovery.

Needed it when my CCT went 70 miles from home. Took and hour 20 to get to me and then another hour and a half to get home but definatlky worth it!
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

£90 for AA relay. It covers me the wife and what ever vehicle either of us are traveling in.

I have used it a few times, even getting relayed home when half way to Devon from London.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

RAC. Not the cheapest, but I've called them out to two punctures, one recovery from 60 miles away when the CCT went pop, new battery for car when that died in the drive (and I didn't even have homestart) and lastly I bought the TDM in April, went 1700 miles round Scotland and forgot to check the amount of rear tyre left (doh). They picked the bike and me up from Fort William and transported us 130 miles to Edinburgh which was the nearest Yammy dealer where I could get a tyre.

They are really good in my experience. ebike insurance also includes breakdown cover and I found them a hell of a lot cheaper than Carole Nash or Bennetts
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

chaz

Post by chaz »

AA , have used them 3 or 4 times cars and bikes. allways have the right vehicle for the job, some use normal pickups without propper bike holding fittings.
eric 49

Post by eric 49 »

wouldn`t leave home without my AA card in my wallet, covers you for any car or bike.Had to call them out a few times ,usualy when i lock my keys in the car :oops: ,always had good service from them.
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

AA Perhaps not the best, took them nearly 4hrs to get us home from north of Perth after our trip to scarborough :? ... but they give you a good discount if you are an IAM member :wink:
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

AA Perhaps not the best, took them nearly 4hrs to get us home from north of Perth after our trip to scarborough ... but they give you a good discount if you are an IAM member
A damn sight quicker than most IAM riders could do it :twisted:

Only joking, I did the IAM test and it was the best thing I ever did :!:
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

Stratman wrote:
A damn sight quicker than most IAM riders could do it :twisted:

Only joking, I did the IAM test and it was the best thing I ever did :!:

:lol: Funny but sadly in some cases true..
Test is worth it for the insurance discount though,
OK now where did i leave my sam brown :wink:
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

I did my IAM with the Essex Advanced M/C group

Great group, lots of group ride for full members ETC

The group did have a few issues with the IAM and have disaffiliated now.

You can still train and do you IAM and Rospa with them.

For some strange reason the IAM did not like the idea of the group doing further training and refresher training for full members.

With Rospa you have to retest every 3 years, with the IAM pass the test and that's it for life.

I think further training at any point in your riding won't do you any harm and don't understand why the IAM didn't like EAMG doing it