I know CCT's has been flogged to death... but... help please

General Bike chat
Hanuman

I know CCT's has been flogged to death... but... help please

Post by Hanuman »

Ok.

Bought the bike 12 weeks ago with 4700 miles on it - my first bike over 125cc's - had it serviced at 7940 miles 3 weeks ago - did 130 miles last week and I reckon the CCT has gone, sounds like the back one.

I've read through a few threads.

I'm not a happy bunny, I won't be attending to it myself as I simply can't be arsed.

I have the machine booked in to the super bikes service centre on West Gate Road - Newcastle, next tuesday and he's gonna have a look at it for me...

I asked him on the phone how much he reckoned it would cost - he said he didnt know, last time he did both on a CBR it was £70 each cct... don't know if that was just parts or parts and fitting - I expect it was just parts..

He said he will do the bike over a few days as and when he has time inbetween booked servicing, he mentioned that the valves may be bent or the cam timing may be out.

So what is a reasonable price to pay for a simple rear cct replacement?

I dont want to be ass raped into having more work done than I need - so....

What is the cheap fix and what is the permanent fix.... a permanent fix will save me looking for another bike.

and...

I ride the machine like a hooligan given the right conditions, I love torqueing the ass of it on straights, I ride purely for the sport of having fun and tend to do so mid week in the late morning / early afternoons.. so..

Is it advisable to continue doing so when the bike is repaired or is the bike simply not up for such abuse?

I have already thought about another bike, for thrashing the pants off - saving the VTR for tours, but it would be nice to keep only the VTR as an all rounder...

Would oil changes every couple of thousand miles protect the spring? I dunno - if it's gonna end up needing CCT's every four thou miles i'll sell it on and buy something harder...

reccomendations sought please peeps.

thanks

Karl
The Official Border Hooner.

2001 Storm.
2006 Hayabusa.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

what year is your Storm?
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Hanuman

Post by Hanuman »

registered 2001 on a Y, but methinks its an earlier model perhaps.. its the FY model.

first owner imported direct from Japan and arrived full UK spec missing out the main dealers here in blitey. Im owner number 2.
The Official Border Hooner.

2001 Storm.
2006 Hayabusa.
delta1

Post by delta1 »

my rear cct went not too long ago, bent exhaust valves n that...cost about £350 for all the parts and labour :cry: , that was from my local honda dealer tho
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

cubicincubi wrote:registered 2001 on a Y, but methinks its an earlier model perhaps.. its the FY model.

first owner imported direct from Japan and arrived full UK spec missing out the main dealers here in blitey. Im owner number 2.
Well, with pre-2004 teoretically you may see some troubles with CCT more than post-2004. But if you do not plan manual CCts that will need adjustment once in a while you just need to replace CCTs with ones that have orange dot on them - latest, I think partnumber ends with 013.
And change them every 20-30 000 km. Should be safe.

One thing - not related to CCT. If your bike is a grey import it supposed to have smaller snorkel on airbox, miss 1 hole on slide, it should have restriction in intakes on carbs and electronics should be restricted too....overall making it really weak comparing to european Storm. You sure all those restrictions were removed? Snorkel, slide drilling and restricting inserts are easy, but electronics on restricted Storm are extremely tricky to undo. If you have chance - take it to dynorun to be sure. Jap Stroms really really cut down on power comparing to european or US. This is something my friends in Russia ran into and it did took them a loads of efforts to derestrict their bikes.
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul