Cleaning tyres

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
BigD

Cleaning tyres

Post by BigD »

Hi guys

Noticed 2 'sticky' patches running down the centre of me brand new pilot powers. Looks like I've picked some tar up.

Is it safe to clean the tyre with WD40, White Spirit etc. Bit retorical this as I've already had a go :? :? :? Still feels a bit sticky/slimy and I'm worried about grip.

What is the safest thing to clean it all (tar, wd40, white spirit) off with now?
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

burn out? :D

Seriously though, I'd try and avoid any kind of solvent on tyres, chemical reactions and all that...

Soapy water and a stiff brush would be my advice.

Are you sure it's a foreign object and not normally part of the tyre? Could be a duff one - exccedingly rare, but does happen. They also sometimes have all kinds of funky goo on them from brand spanking.

Clean as best as able, then just take it easy, the road will clean 'em up.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
BigD

Post by BigD »

Kitch - I wondered whether it was the remainder of some sort of coating with it being new, but dismissed that. Just looked like tar. It wouldn't surprise me with this hot weather we've had, roads a meltin' an all that.

I'm goin to get a stiff brush/soapy water as recommended

Cheers
stevieVTR

Post by stevieVTR »

Maybe it's a road tar based protective coating that'll make your tyre last longer 8O 8O
.... no more bike, divorce sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

WD40?
Are you mad? 8O

I'd get what you can off with a rag, then just find a nice bit of clean tarmac and accelerate hard a few times (NB make sure you're upright just in case it does spin up -I don't want your Mum banging on my door coz you highsided your motorised bicycle thingymabobsit :lol:)
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!