First start after a rebuild.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
pmcq

First start after a rebuild.

Post by pmcq »

Hello All,

Anyone got any tips on starting up a bike after an engine rebuild. I've heard all kinds of stuff from not putting any coolant in and letting the bike run for a minute so that thew gaskets seal better, to starting it up without the spark plugs attached so the oil flows around a bit first. Actually the second one sounds fine but not sure about the no coolant one! Otherwise its just going to be justa case of hitting that button.

Cheers!
pmcq
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Pcmq
If it all turns over by hand okay and you splashed oil around the top end when putting it back together I'd say Grit your teath and press the button. :D :D
Keep an eye on the oil pressure light and as long as it goes out let the thing warm up slowly and jobs a good un :P :P .
Stop it after a couple of mins and recheck your oil level and keep an eye on all the gaskets as it's warming up (water and oil)

Good Luck
Pete.l
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

should be fine if the build is ok, oil it up (it will need topping up after the first start - let it run for a minute then check it), fill the coolant up and leave the cap off, clamp the pipe to the expansion tank for now ( if not you will be filling it when you top up the rad). check the coolant level in the rad for the first 10 minutes as it will need topping up as the air locks come out. balance the carbs. ride it so you know the stat has opened - let it cool and check the rad again.

never had a problem, should fire up after a few pushes of the button.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

oh yeah and do an oil change soon as all the moly and oil mix you used when putting it together will turn the oil black
pmcq

Post by pmcq »

Well I started the bike up and to my delight she ran. Some funky smells from grease burning off etc but sounded ok. Needed some idle adjustment etc but all good.

However went to start her yesterday and she wont fire up. Turns over. Fluid levels are fine - coolant has settled. Cant put my finger on it - Looks like I will have to check the plugs again. I thought initially it was the iginition cut-off or something but not sure now. Its very frustrating seeing as it worked fine the day before.

..back to the drawing board...
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

you may have turned the idle up too much and she is now flooding, takes ages for the tickover to raise if the bike is static. one way to check is to back the tickover off and use the throttle, then you can shut it right off and build it up. or you ***ked it but hope not.
pmcq

Post by pmcq »

Cheers Del, Got it going again. Just needed some more coaxing. Your right about the idle though - its way out, so will fiddle with it.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

definately balance the carbs too mate, once they have been pulled out and push back on the inlet rubbers they will also be well out.