Performance

General Biker Banter
craigybaby

Performance

Post by craigybaby »

Obviously using the queens highways for racing/time trials and the like is highly illegal......*snigger*

However, as im still acquainting myself to the little quirks of the storm i have some q's re: performance.

What sort of league is the storm in? I mean its a 1000cc bike and quite grunty/torquey being a v twin. However, mine is bog standard - still with shiny honda pipes on it. it's flat out at about 145 (indicated) when i was on a private road (ahem). Obv then it's gonna get shat on by gixxers and the like.

I've not really pitted it against other bikes yet - it does tend to pis& on most boy racer cars tho. :)

Any comments? Any anecdotal tales of blade owners who've been pis&ed off that the storm has embarassed them?
Have you noticed when you're riding that everyone going slower than you is an idiot and everyone going faster than you is a maniac?
delta1

Post by delta1 »

ive seen 160 on my clocks too...and mines standard 'cept for the scorpion cans i had on at the time, plus youve got all that lurvely torque :wink:
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Standard power of 105 bhp is comparable to stuff like R6's, CBR600RR's etc but the monster 70 ft/lb of torque means most stuff will be following you coming out of a corner.

As an example, lets look at a comparison. (it's like top trumps! :) )

2005 model CBR600RR makes 115 bhp and 49 ft/lb - all the 600's will make similar power, so usually slightly more top end zoom, but not as much pull to get there. The Storm will edge them out slightly on power performance.

2004 model GSXR750 makes 124 bhp and 57 ft/lb - this is probably the closest all round comparison (IMO - especially if you have an extra 5 bhp on your Storm form a good set of cans and a set up) the extra horsepower of the 750 means once it gets higher up its rev range, it will go quicker than the storm and the good torque will mean it pulls almost as hard. (N.B. the 2006 updated gixxer 750 has had a hooge power hike to 150 bhp - claimed by Suzuki - so that might change things)

1000cc IL4's (blade, gixxer thou etc) make around 175 bhp and 85 ft/lb. Power wise, these will kill the outgunned Storm in a straight line.

However, when you add handling and rider ability in, 175 bhp can't be fully utilised on the road (except maybe on those private road stretches of the M1 or something) so a competent rider on a Storm will pretty much keep up with any 600 or 750 rider. A good rider on a Storm will mostly keep up with big litre bikes on anything other than straight, long roads. Comparing it to riding round Bruntingthorpe on a Fireblade, Ducati 900ss, Buell Firebolt, Triumph TT600, CBR600s, and GSX750 to me the Storm's launch pad grunt is comparable to the Ducati and the Blade and feels stronger than any of the others. Only winding the Blade on to full whack down the runway felt faster.

((this is of course all my opinion, I'm not digging any of the bikes mentioned, so don't get your panties in a twist if you own one - I'm trying to be objective))
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Of course, you could always try out running a police rider on a pan european and see the difference a good rider makes over a blade or a gsxrrrrrrr.
Rich.

craigybaby

Post by craigybaby »

out run plod on a pan euro.... never.......
Have you noticed when you're riding that everyone going slower than you is an idiot and everyone going faster than you is a maniac?
robnobrakes

Post by robnobrakes »

I have been using a track prepared Firestorm for track days over the last 4 years. The suspension is trick, and I have now fitted Blade front forks. The engine is standard, but Micron cans and high performance air filter are fitted.

The only bikes that pass me do because the rider is quicker, not because the bike is quicker. I regularly pass all the high spec litre bikes Blade/Gixers/ZXR/Ducatis/Aprilias etc, around corners and along the straights.

A good rider will always be quicker than an average rider, no matter what the bike is.

Rob
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

robnobrakes wrote: A good rider will always be quicker than an average rider, no matter what the bike is.
Rob
Don't forget to take weight into account here though!
I had a good dice with a guy on a bright green ZX at Cadwell.
I caught him pretty quickly but couldn't get past him safely/ considerately
I'd hang back on the way into the corner, close up/ pull level on the exit and then he'd just pull away
I assumed it was a ZX10 and went over for a chat in the pits -blow me down if it wasn't a ZX636!!
The guy made Loris Capirossi look like a basketball player though so that and the weight of the bike too made quite a noticeably difference -barsteward
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Stormin Ben wrote: The guy made Loris Capirossi look like a basketball player though so that and the weight of the bike too made quite a noticeably difference -barsteward
LOL :lol:

As ive said countles times in other threads (we all have) its the rider that counts!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!