Funny sounds

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jcdj

Funny sounds

Post by jcdj »

Hi all this is my first post so hello, I have been getting a funny sound on my storm I htought it was the exhusts blowing but its not, now I think it might be the cam chain tensioner or the inlet rubbers

It does not sound like a ticking or slaping its a low grumble/sucking type nosie on the over run from 2-3000rpm other wise you never hear it at all.

I just wanted to know if anyone can give me some info on things that go wrong on the motor its done 28000miles on a t plate.
I love my storm and I really dont want another bike what am I going to do
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Welcome aboard jc,

Does'nt sound like the tensioners to me, if it where the tensioners the sound is quite noticable and more of a metallic sound. Not sure what else it could be maybe worth checking under the tank in the airbox area and see if anything has come adrift.

Nice website by the way, especially all those piccies of cute girls, life must be tough :wink: :wink:
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
jcdj

Post by jcdj »

well I have just had a listen to it, I think it sounds more like the cam chain on the front.

Its like a slapping noise I am quite good with bikes but v twins are a new thing to me it only happens around 1500-2000 rpm when I blip the throttle.

Under normal riding there is no noise I am really fussy about things like this and I pick up on sounds straight away before things go really bad so what ever it is, its in the early stage. its a rattle slapping noise

I know its not much help but is there any know probs in that department..
kevg

Post by kevg »

Don't want to get you really worried, but if you search this site you'll find a lot of people with horror stories concearning the CCT's. They can break without warning and detonate a large portion of your cylinder head.

for peace of mind you may be better to change them if you feel they may be getting slack, particularly if you don't know the history of the bike.

there are also posts detailing how to change them if you are able to do it yourself.

the noise you are hearing may be the slack in the chains as the revs are on the rundown if you are blipping the throttle, i'd have to try and check wether mine does that or not, never really noticed before, but this may be normal, maybe someone else will be able to advise on this.
cheerz

kev
kevstorm

Post by kevstorm »

it could be your cct,i would change them as my mates went and he had to replace his engine ,it totaled it big time , :wink:
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

If the sound is coming from the front cam chain then CHANGE THE TENSIONERS NOW!!!!!! it ain't worth the hassle if they go pop on you.

Tony Wilde has a good mod that can be done easily.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

At those rpm mileage and as your slowing down.
Most likley the CCT's
Drop by a bike garage somewhere if your not sure and have a mechanic have a listen it's not worth risking the engine.
P.s
:D Welcome On Board by the way :D

Pete.l
jcdj

Post by jcdj »

I am getting some new cct tomorrow, lucky for me a good friend works in the shop that I bought the bike, so he is sorting them out under the warrenty that ran out two months ago, I think I might get some of the manual APE ones they only cost 50 quid plus delivery so 60-70 pounds.

All I got to do is fit them easy peasy and fit the harris rear sets

does anyone have a spare swing arm spindle
jcdj

Post by jcdj »

well that was fun I have done the cct there ok now but when I took the air filter off the plastic rivets that hold the mesh plate on the filter, two had come off of it 8O I found one but the other ?????????????????? well the nosie has stopped and I cant tell if it was the mesh plate flapping about or the cct

but its fixed now so I dont care :P did a nice stand up wheelie for victory over the strom :lol: let hope it last now!!!!!!!!!