brakes

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
slimreaper

brakes

Post by slimreaper »

I've had the storm for about a month now adn it is THE DADDY!
one slight issue though. The brakes could be better.
Has any one got any tips on sorting them as they lack power.
The pads look pretty new, so it ain't them.
front end also seems to dive loads when braking, which obviously does not help stopping confidence.
It's a 2000 model by the way.
Cheers
rehab is for quitters
Masu

Post by Masu »

The brakes are actually fairly good on the VTR.

You need to make sure they are in good condition.

Make sure the pads are not glazed, they need to be cleaned, take some mild abrasive to the rotors as well.

If the former owner liked to use a coin operated power wash on the bike, the detergent in the power washer will screw your brake pads up, taking away the bite in the pads.
I took a piece of glass about 12" square and used water to stick a sheet of wet & dry sandpaper to it, (240 grit, I forget) then made a figure eight on the glass until the pads were nice and clean. Next I scrubbed the rotors with some emery cloth, not much, but enough to remove the "Coating" from them.

The brakes are much better now.

I also found that the calipers can do with a bit of TLC, pull them off the bike and take them apart, using a "Scotchbrite" green scrubby pad I polish the caliper pistons, and put a very thin coating of brake caliper grease on the pistons.

I have steel braided lines on my bike mainly because I put super bike bars on the bike and needed longer lines.

I am about 120Kg in full kit and I find that even at the track the brakes are good, not GREAT but good enough for a punter like me :oops:

If you want better brakes, plan to spend some money!! 8O

I hope this helps!
"Not all who wander are lost."
-J. R. R. Tolkien
slimreaper

Post by slimreaper »

I will give them a clean and see what happens.
Cheers.
rehab is for quitters