So I've reached a new level of Fuel tap stupidity on hoses

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Bagpuss

So I've reached a new level of Fuel tap stupidity on hoses

Post by Bagpuss »

I need a tad bit of help/query answering.
Ive' just changed my air filter to a BMC Road one, and put some nice new pai of DPR9EIX-9 plugs in. All fired up OK, then it conked out. After sitting around for a bit it started up again, so first think I suspected was vacuum feed on the fuel tap.

So now I realised that I had connected the vacuum feed to what I think may have been the vacuum feed then realised it wasn't. I now have a set up like this

(looking along from front of tank)
___
/ \
Fuel =====| |===== Fuel
\-----/

(Looking along from rear of tank)
___
/ \
Vacuum ---+- |
Line \----/

What my question is, is WTF is that connector point at the bottom of the fuel tap?

i.e.
(looking along from front of tank)
___
/ \
Fuel =====| |===== Fuel
\--+--/
| <= The unknown hose connector point

For the life of me I can't see it in the Haynes Book of lies, Microfiche or service manual.

Of course it could be that I am too low on fuel, but in that case why does leaving the carbs to gravity for a while before starting seem to fix it until it splutters again.

Or is it just that I'm being thick and not priming the fuel system (though the book of lies doesn't mention needing to do this).
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Wow I've discovered that if you open that silver disk on top of the fuel tank and pour some petrol in, it makes the engine work, D'oh :D

Still I was lucky in some ways as that meant I managed to get home from a 20 mile ride with just enough petrol to make it to the house.

I guess when taking the tank off I spilt just enough petrol out of the fuel hoses to run near dry. I though the splashing noises inside the tank were a sign of enough petrol, but I expect it just needed that bit more.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Welcome to the club! Last summer I managed to put vacuum hose on that thing that sticks down from petrol tap and still managed to ride 15 km. Then bike diead, I did wait for 5 min on road side - it started again etc. etc.
After third time I founf I put vacuum hose on fuel tap condensation bleed this is what it actually is...vacuum hos goes on horizontal one. So - I managed to put hoses right on roadside and it was sorted.

But after reading your next post looks like you excelled me :)
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Ah so thats what that "nipple that doesn't officially exist" is. :D

Well after pouring 90% of a fuel can into the tank (the other half niceley cleaned up the dirt of the top of the tank and gave me an excuse to get the super resin polish out again), I gave it a run this morning.

Coughed and supluttered up the road, I started to think there ware more wrong. Stalled a couple of times, errmmm. Quick go round the block then out for a 5 mile ride. Was fine after this. One spat of a coupe of misfires on the way back into the house then idled OK.

I fit misbehaves this week the carbs are going to get a clean out.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Sounds as if you might be alright Bagpuss :!:

Chris.