Bolts!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
gobbag

Bolts!

Post by gobbag »

Ok, I did a silly thing... taxed the bike yesterday, put the new disc on, took it out for a spin today. Get home, get the hose out to rinse the salt off.... b*ll*ocks.... no tax disc. It was held on by the bolt that fixes the back end of the chainguard to the swingarm. I know what's happened, I didn't tighten it up enough and it's vibrated out, my own stupid fault, so it's down to the local DVLA office and fork out for a replacement (it was 15 squid last time I had one nicked). ANYWAY... apart from the tax disc (spitspitspit) I have to find a suitable replacement bolt. If I order one from Appleyards it'll cost over the odds for a Honda special and take a fortnight to turn up. Does anyone have any bright ideas as to how I can find out the right spec for the bolt so I can source one myself? I had a look at the vtr service manual on RQ's post but no joy. Help!
What's that? Loud? Sorry, I can't hear you!
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Is'nt it just a normal M6 bolt?? or am I thinging of something else.

If it is then you'll get one from anywhere for about 20p. Could be wrong which is quite normal for me.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I would have thought Iggy to be right or very close.
Why don't you just ride your bike down to your local motorcycle shop, (putting the new tax disc on first, in a more suitable place ) remove the chain guard completely, just to go down there and back, they should be able to sort you out no problem from stock. As Iggy said it should only be a few pence.
If they haven't got one the exact length you can always shorten it with a hacksaw.

Chris.
gobbag

Thanks guys

Post by gobbag »

I'm sure you're right. For what they'll cost it's even worth pushing the boat out and getting a couple of different sizes to be safe!

cheers
gobbag

Spot on!

Post by gobbag »

Thanks again guys - you were spot on Iggy, it was an M6. Bought a pack of them and didn't even need to shorten it. There was even a half price offer on Oxford tax disc holders at the local bike shop. Hooray!
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

First time I've been right in years....Whooo Hooo :D
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
SILVER ZIPPER

Post by SILVER ZIPPER »

Iggy the ginius 8O
i'll allway's call on you in times of mental block :)
you know we all need you :lol: :lol:
I HATE IT WHEN I HAVE TO PUT IT AWAY........