Dodgy speedo!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
DavieMac11

Dodgy speedo!

Post by DavieMac11 »

Hi guys,
Really hoping someone'll be able to help me sort out my speedo problem. The other day I went out for a short run on the storm. Initially speedo was working fine but after approx. 10mins riding the speedo needle just dropped to zero and stayed there! I've cleaned the block connector under the seat where it plugs into from the sensor, and sprayed it with water dispersant but the same thing keeps happening time and time again.(Speedo works for 10mins or so, and then drops to zero again) All other electrics seem to be working perfectly. Anyone else had a similar problem? It's really beginning to piss me off now! :x
Cheers guys,
Dave.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Check to reg/rec by testing the voltage across the battery terminals

Might be that its outputting too high
Initially this will be offset by it charging the battery but once that gets full (after 10 mins?) the voltage overload could be confusing the speedo

Or it could just be fooked :wink:

Ben
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Just a thought, didn't someone say they had simular problems after they had been washing the bike either with a pressure washer or hosepipe and it turned out to be water had got into the block connectors under the speedo/rev counter consol :!: May be worth checking :!:

Chris.
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

That'd be be me then.......

Never did it again either... (that's just jinxed me eh...)

S'far as a could work out, it was water...was the only likely cause, as i had just washed it very liberally.....
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

essexbloke wrote:That'd be be me then.......

Never did it again either... (that's just jinxed me eh...)

S'far as a could work out, it was water...was the only likely cause, as i had just washed it very liberally.....
Oh was it you Essex, glad it was not my mind doing overtime :!: :lol:

Chris.