Rectifier, battery???

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
DavieMac11

Rectifier, battery???

Post by DavieMac11 »

Hi there,
Just bought my first firestorm last tuesday night but already have a bit of a problem with it...
Picked bike up from previous owner, rode about half way home,(approx 20mile) and pulled in to fill up with fuel. Went to start bike up again but wouldn't happen! Bike turned over but seemed as if battery didn't have enough power to start bike. Eventually got bike bump/push started with help from friendly passer by and rode rest of way home. Put battery on charge overnight and bike started first time next morning, but after a 15min ride my bike wouldn't start again! I re-charged the battery again and took voltage reading over terminals a with multi-meter with bike not started. This gave me 12.51v and battery seemed to be holding it's charge. Bike started again, but after another two starts refused a third time! I've now ordered a new battery and rectifier hoping that this could be the cause. Any advice, ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. (I'm dying to get out for a proper blast on my new toy without the fear of it leaving me stranded at another petrol station!)
Thanks,
Dave.
tony.wilde1

Post by tony.wilde1 »

when mine started effin about mate all it was,was the starter cable where it bolts onto the starter motor..it was all corroded and sapped power galore out of the battery...i cleaned it all up and its been fine ever since...at least a year!!!worth checking !!cheers.
Druid

Post by Druid »

It's a Honda, the reg/rec is always the first suspect :(

It does sound like the regulator is fubared and not charging the battery enough, but it could also be the alternator, or just an old battery not holding its charge. I'd have made certain that I'd identified the problem before spending money on parts that may not solve the problem.

There's a good fault finding chart here.
“I don’t want to live in a society where some do gooder thinks my safety is more important than my freedom” – Richard Rutan
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Sounds like the wreck-you-later rectum-frier to me... Been there. Done that.
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

You've tested the battery but have you tested the output from the rectifier while the engine is running? Is it over charging or under.

If it were me I'd suspect the batt first. After a charge the batt seems to be holding 12 odd volts......but for how long. What you need to find out is the rate of discharge after charging it.

From what you say I'd suspect the batt rather than the regulator.
Beast

Post by Beast »

As Barry has said, have you checked the Regulator/Rectifier first?
If not, you could loose another battery.

Had the same problem with the Reg/Rec, 2nd time on a Honda now!
No more, so this weekend i fitted a R1 Reg/Rec to the Storm with little wiring modification. ;)

See below. :)

siggy

Post by siggy »

Yep my rectum, I mean rectifier, went last year and I replaced it with an R6 one after reading an article on this upgrade on the web.
The recifier came from e-bay for about a tenner.

Siggy