Speedo!

General Bike chat
pmcq

Speedo!

Post by pmcq »

Hey All,

I just replaced my black speedo face for a nice white one to match the rev counter and temp gauge - I had to paint the needle coz it was white so I sprayed all 3 needles a nice red colour. I had to remove them to do this. On putting them back I think my readings are incorrect. Its not a case of putting them back on at zero as I found out, becuase once the ignition is tuned on they jump slightly. I have a feeling i need to put them at 6 o'clock on the face and then clip them over the small arm that holds them a zero but just wondering if anyone else has done this?

Cheers!
pmcq
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Don't know about the speedo, pmcq, but you're avatar's making me dizzy... :P
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTRgirl wrote:Don't know about the speedo, pmcq, but you're avatar's making me dizzy... :P
Yeah VTRgirl, it does the same for me, but I didn't like to be rude :!: :lol:

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Its not a case of putting them back on at zero as I found out, becuase once the ignition is tuned on they jump slightly. I have a feeling i need to put them at 6 o'clock on the face and then clip them over the small arm that holds them a zero but just wondering if anyone else has done this?
I did this a few years back after a smash i had to rebuild the clocks.
All I did to recalibrate the clocks was have a friend drive at a constant 70MPH and I drove along the side of him and when he signaled he was doing 70 I saw my clocks were only reading 62. So when I got back I just added 8MPH to the needles from a static point and job done

Pete.l
pmcq

Post by pmcq »

Cheers Pete.
--------------------

VTRGirl - yea I know - it was an experiment - I took a load of pics of the pic and shrunk them - had to go really really low quality coz there is a size limit on the pics... Will have to come up with something new now! :-)
pmcq

Post by pmcq »

Hey All.

Can anybody tell me what revs I should be doing at 70mph in 4th? - Need to recelibrate the rev counter :)
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

Surely if you used a timing strobe with a RPM read out on it you'd be able to do it without riding along!?
You could also check the engine speed at various throttle openings. If you weren't so far away you could borrow mine!
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

get someone with a gps system or a phone or pocket pc with sat nav and tape it to the bike or in a tank bag and then read the speed from the system as it will be way more accurate than a normal speedo. I have both if your down this way (southish) anytime after this month.
pmcq

Post by pmcq »

Cheers Del! I think you are across the water from me so it would be a bit of a spin! :-) Think i'll leave it the way it is - feels good get into work going "Hey I did 250mph on the way to work this morning" :) :) Nah - I'll have a look in the next day or two.
simon t

Post by simon t »

I reckon the gearing on the storm gives 6, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 per '000 rpm which gives you 5000 rpm for 70 mph (based on my stock speedo).
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

pmcq wrote:Cheers Pete.
--------------------

VTRGirl - yea I know - it was an experiment - I took a load of pics of the pic and shrunk them - had to go really really low quality coz there is a size limit on the pics... Will have to come up with something new now! :-)
I'm pleased and I would imagine VTRgirl will be also, to see you've now stopped your bike spinning :!: :lol:

Chris.

PS Shouldn't think handling has improved much with those new tyres :lol:
pmcq

Post by pmcq »

Hahaha - cheers Chris - Yea I was gettig dizzy looking at that myself. Yep - those new off road tyres are great. 1000cc scrambler :wink:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

pmcq wrote:Hahaha - cheers Chris - Yea I was gettig dizzy looking at that myself. Yep - those new off road tyres are great. 1000cc scrambler :wink:
Mind you they do look quite good :!: :lol:

Chris.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

pmcq wrote:Hahaha - cheers Chris - Yea I was gettig dizzy looking at that myself. Yep - those new off road tyres are great. 1000cc scrambler :wink:
Looks like a mini moto now :P
Rich.