Melted battery

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Buddy

Melted battery

Post by Buddy »

I was touring france and spain in the summer, doin around 90mph constant on the motorway, when my bike just suddenly died. I got off and i could smell burning plastic. Eventually i lifted the seat to find the battery had swelled up and had even cracked the battery holder. So i bought a new battery and checked it every 60 mile or so, but the same thing started happening again, so after some advice i disconnected the alternator. this cured it and got me home but obviously i need my alternator connected. Can anyone tell me what the problem is. do i need a new alternator or what.[/b]
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It sounds like the voltage regulator rectifier needs replacing :!:

Chris.
Druid

Post by Druid »

Yep, regulator/rectifier is almost certainly u/s, and is allowing the alternator to overcharge the battery - leading to a melted battery. Disconnecting the alternator will obviously prevent this happening again, but it brings its own problems ;)

You will probably need to buy another battery, the one you bought is most likely damaged already.

Buy a replacement reg/rec from Electrex. They are better than the OE ones, and a bit cheaper too.

If you have a multimeter and want to check out your charging system first there is a good fault finding chart here. Basically the voltage across the battery teminals should be between 13v at idle, rising to 14.5v as you rev it. Any more than this indicates a faulty reg/rec.
“I don’t want to live in a society where some do gooder thinks my safety is more important than my freedom” – Richard Rutan
Buddy

Post by Buddy »

Cheers guys ........replaced the rectifier and battery ... job done

Paul :D
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Flamin' wreck you later rectum friers... :evil:
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?