rear brake lever

General Bike chat
Scott Malcolm

rear brake lever

Post by Scott Malcolm »

Bent my rear brake lever. Does anyone know of an aftermarket one I can purchase and where? Honda dealer wants $60US for a new one.

Thanks,
Scott
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

How badly bent is it?
I clamped mine in a vice, heated it up and GENTLY bent it straight. So long as you are very gentle it shouldn't be a problem. I've been using it for 18months since and theres no sign of any problems

Ben
Scott Malcolm

Post by Scott Malcolm »

It's pretty bad. I thought about trying to bend it back too, but I figured it would break. What did you use to heat it up? Maybe I'll give it a try. I really don't have the clams for a new one. The end of the lever (foot part) is bent almost straight with the arm, so instead of it being at a 90 degree angle, it hooks right around so it looks like a tight fishhook.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Anything really, if you've got a blow torch thats great but I just use the gas ring on the cooker.
Top tip though, get some thick gloves!!
And keep it hot!!
I had the same amount of bend and just heated it, bent it a bit, heated it some more, bent it etc until it was where I wanted it

And if the worst happens and it does snap you could always drill a hole near the end and put a bold through!! Did this on my old H100 in my student days (long gone now, sniff sniff)

Good luck

Ben
Scott Malcolm

Post by Scott Malcolm »

Ben,

I'll give it try. I need to do something with it. Can't leave it the way it is.

Thanks for info buddy,
Scott
Scott Malcolm

Follow up

Post by Scott Malcolm »

Just to follow up on this. I was able to bend it back successfully. I used a propane torch to heat it up real good, then would bend it a little, heat it, bend, heat it, bend it, etc. I was surprised how good it worked. I really had to heave-ho the thing and I kept expecting it to snap off, but it did not.

Saved my self something like $60

Scott