wheel corrosion

General Bike chat
markg

wheel corrosion

Post by markg »

gave my VTR a good pampering yesterday and was a bit disapointed to see the state of the rear wheel.
theres a lot of corrosion on it and the paint has come off where the balance weights have been.
any body else got the same problem??
I guess it might be an excuse to get the wheels resprayed a different colour next winter but I aint too amused at the moment!
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Re: wheel corrosion

Post by firestorm_al »

markg wrote:gave my VTR a good pampering yesterday and was a bit disapointed to see the state of the rear wheel.
theres a lot of corrosion on it and the paint has come off where the balance weights have been.
any body else got the same problem??
I guess it might be an excuse to get the wheels resprayed a different colour next winter but I aint too amused at the moment!
The best thing to do with the wheels is get them powder coated not painted.
markg

Post by markg »

how much would powder coating cost for two wheels?how much preparation would I have to do?ie removing the tyres?would they remove the corrosion?
anyone know anyone in the East Anglia area who would do such a job coz i've never needed to have it done before as all my Yamaha's have had nice corrosion free wheels :wink:
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

The tyres, valves, bearings & brake disks all need to come off I'm afraid. They generally shot blast before applying the coating anyway to get down to bare metal.

It should cost about £40 per wheel but you'll probably have to fit new wheel bearings as well. But the results are worth it. Even after several winters they just wiped clean and polish up a treat with some Auto Glym Super Resin Polish.

Al.
Masu

Post by Masu »

How does the powder coating hold up to tire changes? We change our own tires at the track, and I have to admit that sometimes the rim protectors things get misplaced :roll: I know this is not good, but will the powder coating chip easily?

Cheers!

PS anyone with a Silver VTR that has wheel that are not black? How does it look?

Cheers!
"Not all who wander are lost."
-J. R. R. Tolkien
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

never had any problems with the tyre guy I go to regarding chipped rims!

The stick on weights that are used can leave a mess of sticky goo but the surface is always intact.

Al.