cleaning leathers

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
trebs

cleaning leathers

Post by trebs »

So, Yellow leathers for a yellow bike, great idea... Until they start getting grubby, especially around the betty swollocks and elbow crease areas.

At the mo I use a brown soap solution , cloth and soft nail brush. Any better ideas out there?

Cheers, Rob.
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Yeah Rob... black leathers. 8)
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
curly

Post by curly »

Great answer, you beat me to it!!!! 8)
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

This forum is no.1 for handy hints & helpful advice. :lol: :roll:
trebs

Post by trebs »

VTRgirl wrote:This forum is no.1 for handy hints & helpful advice. :lol: :roll:
/me slaps VTRgirl with the sweaty bit of his leathers.

;)
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

I've always used saddle soap on mine. Get the crud off and leaves'em nice a supple. But then I've got black leathers and not yella ones. Whats brown soap btw?
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Think thats the same ? Anxiously awaiting a sensible reply on this topic as i too have yellow leathers ! :D

Stu.
trebs

Post by trebs »

BarryH wrote:I've always used saddle soap on mine. Get the crud off and leaves'em nice a supple. But then I've got black leathers and not yella ones. Whats brown soap btw?
Brown soap is a basically a very hard and basic soap, no additives, perfumes, or softeners. Old fashioned stuff, used a lot where chemical additives can be a problem.

Maybe the saddle soap is a better idea, it probably contains lanolin or some other basic softener.
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

trebs wrote:/me slaps VTRgirl with the sweaty bit of his leathers.
VTRgirl says "ptui" & slaps back with black, bug-gutzy leathers that have never been (& undoubtedly will never be) cleaned with saddle soap, brown soap or any other kind of soap. Kill them bugs & wear their bits as proof! :lol:
RQ

Post by RQ »

Go to your local leather jacket / leather chairs supplier and ask them for something to clean your kit with.
I got a "soft leather" cleaner which comes as a liquid that you wipe over the leathers, and then beeswax stuff to put on afterwards to keep them all lovely and stuff!!!
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
tiggerii

Post by tiggerii »

I use Innotec Leather Cleaner and follow up with their Leather Protector. My Spidi leathers are black, orange and white and this stuff keeps the white and orange panels pristine.
2000 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm - SOLD
2009 Triumph Tiger 1050 - from two cylinders to three!
trebs

Post by trebs »

tiggerii wrote:I use Innotec Leather Cleaner and follow up with their Leather Protector. My Spidi leathers are black, orange and white and this stuff keeps the white and orange panels pristine.
sounds a good one to me.
Girlie_Biker

Post by Girlie_Biker »

Depending on how good a job you are going to do and if you're lazy or not you can get packets of leather wipes from the supermarket (intended for leather handbags & sofas) they actually work rather well (was demonstrating to the other half that his Kwak green leathers were just dirty - not worn out) and they leave them smelling very nice indeed!

come to think of it, I bet baby wipes do a hell of a job - yellafella, I'm sure you've got some hanging around now :wink:

For a "proper" job I advocate saddle soap followed (once thoroughly dry) with a bit of wax.
ZZ-RAWR!
VTR1000 Firestorm "the Animal"
ZZR600E "the Baby"
GPZ500s "the Brat"
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I use baby wipes to remove all the deas flies etc. from mine.

Works a treat on my lid too, just lay a couple over it for a couple of minutes and the flies just wipe off.

Al.