yuasa battery

General Bike chat
sammy347

yuasa battery

Post by sammy347 »

hi all i hope the weather heats up a bit now, anyway my storm been outside all winter its well wrapped up . i took the battery out and had it on an optimate say every month for about 10hrs at a time but it only reads 12.4 a . i was going to buy a yuasa ytx 14h bs in halfords dublin i heard here i think its a taller battery with a better kick but you have to remove the compartment lid. what i was told here i think aswell halfords over here have a lot of old stock stuff. how do i tell the date of a yuasa battery. i have two old ones here cant see any date, am i right saying that model of battery is factory filled. cheers sammy , ps the last one i bought from halfords lasted about 14mts
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: yuasa battery

Post by sirch345 »

I would suggest getting your new Yuasa YTX14H battery from Tayna (just double check they deliver to Dublin) because they will have a higher turn over than Halfords so more likely to get a newer battery. Interestingly I have just purchased the exact same battery from Tayna myself for my Storm. I have not fitted it yet, but I am hoping the extra CCA's with this 'H' version will spin the engine a little quicker when starting. I had been using a Yuasa YTX14-BS battery, so not the 'H' version.

The original battery dimension's for my earlier (year 1999) 16 litre petrol tank model are 150mm L x 87mm W x130mm H
The YTX14H is 15mm taller you're right. You can unclip part of the battery box including the top to allow the taller battery to fit.

Tayna online site: https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batt ... gKcdfD_BwE

Phone No: Tayna 01745 823399

Chris.
sammy347

Post by sammy347 »

cheers sirch it would cost a small fortune to get one from tanya if they are uk based, since the dredded b word happened its too expexsive to buy fromm the uk ebay and amazon included, i think from what i remember i would have to cut off the lid, just wondering why yuasa dont stamp the date on the battery
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I didn't realise it was so bad buying from the UK now :evil:

I did read online somewhere at one point they had a code to workout the date of manufacture, however I believe that was years ago. It would be useful I agree. Ever since the business of not being able to sell the battery acid separately, where we added it ourselves once the battery was delivered, the problem comes over how long an activated battery (the acid has been added) is sitting in a warehouse and or shop on a shelf before we purchase it. It didn't matter how long it was sitting on a shelf until then. As I understand it that determines the longevity of it. I had almost 7yrs from the Yuasa YTX14 battery am replacing.

Part of the battery box and lid can be removed without the need to cut it off,

Chris.
sammy347

Post by sammy347 »

i did not know that about the lid , i was just reading that the bs on a battery means bottle supplied , can you not ask when you are buying a new battery to fill it there and then or give you the acid to do it yourself i remember that years ago
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251666124071

Yes this is still from Tanya but same size as normal but with better CCA than the standard one. Do a bit of research & see if you can find a local importer for Enduroline batteries.

Found this seems to be in RoI. https://www.desertcart.ie/search/motorcycle+battery

I personally would avoid buying from Halfrauds

8O 14monts is poor for a battery to last. Over winter I take my batteries off & just leave them. Bit of a charge before reinstall jobs a good un. Last a lot longer than 14months !
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

14 mths is pretty poor.. i didnt realise you guys down south had got clobbered so bad because of the B word.. even up north here some places have stopped delivering tho not to many thankfully :thumbup:.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

sammy347 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:09 pm i did not know that about the lid , i was just reading that the bs on a battery means bottle supplied , can you not ask when you are buying a new battery to fill it there and then or give you the acid to do it yourself i remember that years ago
The 'BS' part of the identification code should really be removed as it's no longer correct about acid being supplied in a separate bottle anymore. Probably left there as not to confuse the general public, as no doubt some would think the battery without the 'BS' there is a different battery, if you get what I mean.

Iirc, acid attacks had something to do with removing the separate acid pack, or I believe that's what they said at the time.

Have a read of the new legislation:
https://www.yuasa.co.uk/2018/08/importa ... n-be-sold/
https://blog.tayna.co.uk/2018/07/06/new ... -are-sold/

Chris.
sammy347

Post by sammy347 »

Thanks all. I'll keep looking for the next couple of weeks anyway. I think it's 12 months warranty on a new battery
sammy347

Post by sammy347 »

Does at know the sell by date of a new battery I tried to find out where the date of manufacture was seems wherever it is it's in some secret code what's all that about