GrainStorm IX

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

MacV2

Re: GrainStorm IX

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:17 pm I'll bring some.
Looks quiet this year, how many are you expecting?

Me
Mons.
Jones.
Michella.
Bret ? Jones mate
Phil the snorkel fury seat.
Possibly Jamie.
Pete ?
Kev L

So far...
Last edited by MacV2 on Tue May 07, 2024 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

Hi Folks,

I would have been up for this but... Having fixed my carb issue last year & recently had a new front tyre & fork seals for the MOT and relocated the bike to Hastings to avoid ULEZ, I thought I was all ready to go for the season and met up with an old mate & his 850 Guzzi Bobber earlier today. Met at the biker cafe not far up the A21 & when we left & I maybe revved it up a bit more than usual, my speedo, tacho, neutral light, & temperature gauge all conked out & on checking, the back light & brake light were out too. I checked the fuses, found one blown & replaced it, & some things came back, but not the speedo or rear lights. Going back from there, the speedo came back at one point, then maybe I revved it up harder again & I was back to square one (the same fuse had blown again). There's a forum thread on this problem here viewtopic.php?p=498250&hilit=blowing+fuse#p498250 & I think checking wiring loom ground points is the next step for me and/or disconnecting various bits to isolate what's causing the fuse to blow.

Anyway, the long & short of this is that my bike isn't road worthy right now & isn't likely to be fixed in time for Grainstorm.

Hope you all have fun & maybe even get some workshop tasks done!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Mike TW9 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:58 pm Hi Folks,

I would have been up for this but... Having fixed my carb issue last year & recently had a new front tyre & fork seals for the MOT and relocated the bike to Hastings to avoid ULEZ, I thought I was all ready to go for the season and met up with an old mate & his 850 Guzzi Bobber earlier today. Met at the biker cafe not far up the A21 & when we left & I maybe revved it up a bit more than usual, my speedo, tacho, neutral light, & temperature gauge all conked out & on checking, the back light & brake light were out too. I checked the fuses, found one blown & replaced it, & some things came back, but not the speedo or rear lights. Going back from there, the speedo came back at one point, then maybe I revved it up harder again & I was back to square one (the same fuse had blown again). There's a forum thread on this problem here viewtopic.php?p=498250&hilit=blowing+fuse#p498250 & I think checking wiring loom ground points is the next step for me and/or disconnecting various bits to isolate what's causing the fuse to blow.

Anyway, the long & short of this is that my bike isn't road worthy right now & isn't likely to be fixed in time for Grainstorm.

Hope you all have fun & maybe even get some workshop tasks done!
I had one that kept blowing the main fuse... Changed the Reg/Rec it sorted it. Check that first & the wiring to it... Plenty of spares if you need anything.
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

Thanks Mac! Having the bike in Hastings & working in London during the week means I could be a bit slow tracing the fault. I intend to be back next weekend with lots of spare fuses, tolls & a multi-meter to make a start. I changed the rec/reg before (twice after having ignored forum advice about cheap Chinese ones the 1st time) so it's not that old but yes, will check & give you a shout if I need any bits.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Sorry Folks,
I'm going to be a no show this weekend too. :( We're away down south for the weekend. On the up side.
I get to take the bike and meet the Mrs down there :P
Have fun. I don't forget to take the batteries out of your BS meter. You wouldn't want to brake it :wink:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Have a great weekend guys, I hope the sun shines for you :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chris.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Enjoy the sun
Phil Treadgold

Post by Phil Treadgold »

Good to see you today. Hope Tony gets his prillia back together! 😬👍
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well, considering that all I wanted to do was to replace a usb port with a new one, it turned into a day's work.

The display and all electrics failed shortly after I disconnected the old usb port, and resisted all attempts to get it back to working again.
Jonesy helpfully found an online tip suggesting that I check the main 30 amp fuse, which I did- it had blown.
But when I fitted the spare, still no electrics at all.

I started to suspect the main display unit, and found one on eBay for £500, but carried away n poking around, and eventually discovered that the replacement 30 amp fuse wasn't seating properly and corrosion was preventing it making a decent connection.

A quick clean and reinsert, and everything came back.

But by then, as the pic shows, I'd taken the whole front end apart looking for fuses, so it has to be put back together again, which was a little fiddly, to say the least.

But all back working now, except the tracker, which I've left disconnected as I need to find the installation instructions so that I get the connections right- and, if course, the bloody usb port, which still isn't working 😂

I'll get there - just not today.

At least it turned into a workshop day, with mine playing up, and Mac grinding micro millimetres of expensive rechroming on fork legs of so that the sliders fitted.

Bacon consumed, Jaffa cakes all round except for the conscientious objector Jonesy, and a good day nevertheless.

Cheers, Mac - you nearly had a new lodger!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Phil Treadgold

Post by Phil Treadgold »

Glad you got it sorted but didn't someone else ask if you checked the main fuse?.. Before you pulled the front off😂👍
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:40 pm Well, considering that all I wanted to do was to replace a usb port with a new one, it turned into a day's work.

The display and all electrics failed shortly after I disconnected the old usb port, and resisted all attempts to get it back to working again.
Jonesy helpfully found an online tip suggesting that I check the main 30 amp fuse, which I did- it had blown.
But when I fitted the spare, still no electrics at all.

I started to suspect the main display unit, and found one on eBay for £500, but carried away n poking around, and eventually discovered that the replacement 30 amp fuse wasn't seating properly and corrosion was preventing it making a decent connection.

A quick clean and reinsert, and everything came back.

But by then, as the pic shows, I'd taken the whole front end apart looking for fuses, so it has to be put back together again, which was a little fiddly, to say the least.

But all back working now, except the tracker, which I've left disconnected as I need to find the installation instructions so that I get the connections right- and, if course, the bloody usb port, which still isn't working 😂

I'll get there - just not today.

At least it turned into a workshop day, with mine playing up, and Mac grinding micro millimetres of expensive rechroming on fork legs of so that the sliders fitted.

Bacon consumed, Jaffa cakes all round except for the conscientious objector Jonesy, and a good day nevertheless.

Cheers, Mac - you nearly had a new lodger!
Tony, What a right pita that turned out to be, that must have been a stressful time for you guy’s, at least you got it going again :clap: :clap:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

As GrainStorm's go it was a bit quiet, but a mostly productive day.

Due to his work load the pun count was down...fank fuk :lol: :lol:

General Bollacks was in effect.

Bacon was consumed.

The Mac tool collection was engaged in the Aprilia strip down & rebuild.

& my wallet got a bit fatter !

Pics latter when I can be bothered to down load them...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

The ones T&T & insured to ride...

CJ Storm missing more bits in the Jones 633 fettling saga...

The works in progress.. Yeah right...

Hiding on the right under the black sheet... Smerkin Joe. :lol: :lol:

Yes 8 in total...

One very naked Aprilia. This is before the front end got stripped down as well, see Tonys pic above...

Lost count of the amount of screws Tony removed... There were 2 mag trays involved & when it looked like he was gonna get Mrs Mons to come & pick him up in the van about half a dozen small clip bags were provided to safely keep them in in control...
All this was over at least 3 hrs if not 4... 8O

Although being helpful as ever I pointed out...

Storm fairing 4 fairing screws, 4 mirror nuts, 2 light plugs & 4 indicator wires & the fairing is off...Lower clips an option if there or in most cases snip the cable ties... maybe 10/15 mins to remove or replace... :lol: :lol:

As said the bonus was the overall pun count was greatly reduced for the day, but you'll be pleased to know what puns that were forthcoming were up to the normal poor quality... :lol: :lol: :lol:

End of the day nicely packed back up...I need a bigger Cave :roll:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

What a difference a day makes.
USB port fitted and working, tracker reconnected.
Only the seat and one side panel off.

Mind you, I was thinking about how to test each wire and diagnose yesterday's problems most of the night...

Time for a BBQ and some cold beers :beer: 💨

Bloody Italian bikes.
It'll all be forgiven the next time I open the throttle.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:46 pm Image

The ones T&T & insured to ride...

CJ Storm missing more bits in the Jones 633 fettling saga...

The works in progress.. Yeah right...

Hiding on the right under the black sheet... Smerkin Joe. :lol: :lol:

Yes 8 in total...

One very naked Aprilia. This is before the front end got stripped down as well, see Tonys pic above...

Lost count of the amount of screws Tony removed... There were 2 mag trays involved & when it looked like he was gonna get Mrs Mons to come & pick him up in the van about half a dozen small clip bags were provided to safely keep them in in control...
All this was over at least 3 hrs if not 4... 8O

Although being helpful as ever I pointed out...

Storm fairing 4 fairing screws, 4 mirror nuts, 2 light plugs & 4 indicator wires & the fairing is off...Lower clips an option if there or in most cases snip the cable ties... maybe 10/15 mins to remove or replace...
:lol: :lol:

As said the bonus was the overall pun count was greatly reduced for the day, but you'll be pleased to know what puns that were forthcoming were up to the normal poor quality... :lol: :lol: :lol:

End of the day nicely packed back up...I need a bigger Cave :roll:
Good man Mac for being as helpful as ever :lol: :lol:

Thanks for posting up the photo's.

It sounds like you all had a great day eventually :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chris.