Fuel E10 / E5

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Donut 77

Fuel E10 / E5

Post by Donut 77 »

What are the pros and cons of these different fuels?

Is it really bad for the motor to use only E10?

Do people mix it, or vary it depending on type of journey?

I’ve heard that the E10 is actually only about E7.5 anyway, but they can’t always guarantee it, so must label it E10. (This was talking to a tanker driver - so not quite out of the horses mouth)

Is it more efficient to use more ‘powerful’ fuel, or just more fun. I don’t really nail it very often, so was thinking about sticking to E10 anyway.

What are the relative mpg of the two?
Good job I’m not in a rush…
No longer in the B154-M club.
fabiostar

Re: Fuel E10 / E5

Post by fabiostar »

If i can find normal fuel i always use it instead . cant always find it so have used E10 , honestly cant really tell any difference except in dori its a bit harder to start..

from what iv seen and read the biggest problem with E10 is if its left sitting about in a tank it attracts moisture from the air then thats what causes most problems, the world (well Britain) went into E10 meltdown, but E10 and much worse has been on sale in other parts of the globe for over 40 years and the world is still spinning :lol: :lol: .

I dont put it anywhere near my LC tho.

personally if i can find normal fuel i use it first :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:18 am

LC? Forgive my ignorance 😬
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Donut 77 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:40 am
fabiostar wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:18 am

LC? Forgive my ignorance 😬
Yamaha RD250/350 LC... Liquid cooled... You must be a right Pup if you don't remember them... Back in the day @17 after your year of only allowed a 50cc ped you could ride anything up to 250 on L plates...In the very late 70's early 80's the choice were Honda CB250 Superdream...4stroke slow as poke... Kawasaki KH250 2 stroke triple.. (Nice I had one.) Yamaha RD250 air cooled 2 stroke Suzuki GT250 2 stroke.

Then Yamaha brought out the RD250 LC & it all went mental...Fuelled by the Japanese racing series 250 2strokes 400cc 4 strokes

In the meantime UK Gov got spooked by all the 17years olds killing themselves on 250 bikes capable of doing 100MPH + .& brought in the 12.5 bhp limit... It's time to get the125cc bike out...

Pass your test & all the mental 250 2 strokes were out there still...RD's, KR1's, RGV 's...

I missed the the cut off & started off on a Yam DT80... After passing me test I went KH250... (Nice but dated) Suzuki X7...(Never really liked that one, bit to basic..) then a Yam RD250LC... I n fact I had all 3 at one point in the garage... ( Can you see where that went folks ? :lol: )

Then went to the dark side with a GPZ600R that got nicked I went out & bought a Honda NS400R sweet little thing that was...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Re fuels, Storms run fine on E10. Unless its tuned to buggery its a waste of cash using E5/ super or whatever...

Apparently Tesco super is ethanol free which is good for long term storage but other than that there is no running difference between the two in everyday use. On a standard Storm.

As said don't leave it in the tank unused for long periods... Personally when I put a bike away for winter I drain the tank & the float bowls...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Donut 77

Post by Donut 77 »

Fascinating read. Yes I am a young pup at only 45 🤪 But actually in bike terms, a mere toddler.. I only did my cbt 4 years ago. Bought a Honda cb125.., did the instant access course and then got a Triumph Speed Twin 1200 - which I ride every day. I have very little knowledge about history of bikes - save to say that my best mates Dad growing up had a 750four that no one was allowed to touch, and his older brother had a 250 super dream.., which looked like 1980’s knight rider on two wheels..

I’m glad you think it’s ok to use E10 because I put a tank full of super in 5 minutes ago and it’s gone.. stolen by the thieving carburettor.. still, it’s worth £20 for 100 miles of screaming my head off. Cheaper than Alton towers
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Donut 77 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:37 am Fascinating read. Yes I am a young pup at only 45 🤪 But actually in bike terms, a mere toddler.. I only did my cbt 4 years ago. Bought a Honda cb125.., did the instant access course and then got a Triumph Speed Twin 1200 - which I ride every day. I have very little knowledge about history of bikes - save to say that my best mates Dad growing up had a 750four that no one was allowed to touch, and his older brother had a 250 super dream.., which looked like 1980’s knight rider on two wheels..

I’m glad you think it’s ok to use E10 because I put a tank full of super in 5 minutes ago and it’s gone.. stolen by the thieving carburettor.. still, it’s worth £20 for 100 miles of screaming my head off. Cheaper than Alton towers
just what mac said about the LC. mines only 3 years younger than you are :lol: :lol: its my midlife crises :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: