Mobile van on the B3157

Where are the boys in blue hiding??????
Smudger27

Mobile van on the B3157

Post by Smudger27 »

The B3157 is the Weymouth to Bridport coast road, pretty straight until you get to Portisham then is tighter, it’s locally known a a mini IOM section. Thus speed limits have been dropped to 50mph and camera vans pop up to catch not just bikers but cars too.

I have a question regarding speeding ….
I saw the camera van possibly to late as I was going pretty quickly but stopped the bike about 400m away from the van. I then looked all over as if the bike had an issue and after 5min+ I turned bike around and rode off at about 5mph.
What is the criteria for bikes and a camera van? He more than likely got me at distance but no reg plate showing. When I rode off in opposing direction I was walking pace but reg plate was showing. Can or do they correlate images?
I’m not a novice when it comes to points for speeding but I’ve not had this scenario either.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: Mobile van on the B3157

Post by Pete.L »

Good question.
I think if you looked different from the rear as you rode away they would have a hard time proving it was you. Any under cracker stains they wouldn't have seen from the front? Or a Blue bike speeding towards them and a brown one leaving? 8O
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Smudger27

Post by Smudger27 »

Pete.L wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:54 pm Good question.
I think if you looked different from the rear as you rode away they would have a hard time proving it was you. Any under cracker stains they wouldn't have seen from the front? Or a Blue bike speeding towards them and a brown one leaving? 8O
😂
if they kept video running for over 5min then I guess they’d see start to finish but a fair few cars came past in both directions so would he/she then divert the camera to them?
My riding gear I guess looks the same front to back other than I had tinted inside visor flipped down.
Change attire and say I don’t own riding gear like that. It was first outing in my leather bike trousers, up till this morning I was just jeans.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I think you'll be fine.
Normally it's not video but still shots. If they have a long line of site they can get you over quite a good distance (1/2 mile ish)
If you haven't heard anything in two weeks you should be safe :thumbup:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Smudger27

Post by Smudger27 »

Pete.L wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:08 pm I think you'll be fine.
Normally it's not video but still shots. If they have a long line of site they can get you over quite a good distance (1/2 mile ish)
If you haven't heard anything in two weeks you should be safe :thumbup:
Thank you. Fingers crossed, just back on motorcycle after 13yrs and now this.
Oh course I’ll keep post updated.
John
Smudger27

Re: update.. Mobile van on the B3157

Post by Smudger27 »

Well, over 14 days have passed and nothing in the post. I have to admit to sweating somewhat for two weeks.
Lucky bugger.

John
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Smudger27 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:31 pm Well, over 14 days have passed and nothing in the post. I have to admit to sweating somewhat for two weeks.
Lucky bugger.

John
Good news, it's a horrible feeling I know, just waiting for each day to slowly pass by :eh:

Chris.
Smudger27

Post by Smudger27 »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:34 pm
Smudger27 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:31 pm Well, over 14 days have passed and nothing in the post. I have to admit to sweating somewhat for two weeks.
Lucky bugger.

John
Good news, it's a horrible feeling I know, just waiting for each day to slowly pass by :eh:

Chris.
Cheers Chris
It’s a real gutting feeling. I was extremely lucky.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Good news after 14days & no brown envelope your in the clear...

Bad news for future reference the vans have cameras facing both ways so makes no difference if your a bike they get the pic as you pass....

Been there done that got pinged IIRC 60 in a 50 zone van on overpass didn't even see it. I got the NIP in the post with option of 3 points or pay for the privilege of a half day in a class room. I took the day in a room of mainly car muppets.

IIRC if its 20 + over the limit its straight points no choice.

100 + its instant court & prob a ban...

:Bike:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Some of us are still in the NIP window following the Wales run.
I'm avoiding the postie for a while, and I've sellotaped the letterbox shut just in case.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Smudger27

Post by Smudger27 »

MacV2 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:06 am Good news after 14days & no brown envelope your in the clear...

Bad news for future reference the vans have cameras facing both ways so makes no difference if your a bike they get the pic as you pass....

Been there done that got pinged IIRC 60 in a 50 zone van on overpass didn't even see it. I got the NIP in the post with option of 3 points or pay for the privilege of a half day in a class room. I took the day in a room of mainly car muppets.

IIRC if its 20 + over the limit its straight points no choice.

100 + its instant court & prob a ban...

:Bike:
Yeah I’ve had ..er a lot of points in my 40 yrs on the road and really should now bloody learn. But they’ll get you us at some point even a smidge over the limit. That one would have been a long ban and big fine so feeling very lucky.
Smudger27

Post by Smudger27 »

tony.mon wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:55 pm Some of us are still in the NIP window following the Wales run.
I'm avoiding the postie for a while, and I've sellotaped the letterbox shut just in case.
Oooh bugger. Here’s hoping postie is kind to you
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

tony.mon wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:55 pm Some of us are still in the NIP window following the Wales run.
Same, and I know I must have triggered at least one of the average speed cameras that I didn’t bother to look up from the road to see, bigger worry is if I triggered all of them

Will find out when I get home I guess
AMcQ