Spare Firestorm Engine

General Biker Banter
ItsaKeeper

Spare Firestorm Engine

Post by ItsaKeeper »

Hi - I am a bungling amateur (but keen to learn) when it comes to engine maintenance and my firestorm will need valve clearance checks soon. I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to get a spare engine to practice on. I could then follow the advice in the workshop page when it came to engine matters on the dummy engine before messing up my good one.

Just wondered if any other forum members have been down this path or would recommend it?

fabiostar

Re: Spare Firestorm Engine

Post by fabiostar »

If you could find one cheap enough yeah be handy to practice on :thumbup: .. finding one might be the problem tho.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You could buy one with valve damage cheaply, and repair that.
That way you get to learn how to set valve timing, and end up with a useable spare- or sell it.
Last edited by tony.mon on Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
ItsaKeeper

Post by ItsaKeeper »

Thanks Fabiostar & Tony for your feedback, I'll start looking for a repairable engine :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

ItsaKeeper wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:43 am Thanks Fabiostar & Tony for your feedback, I'll start looking for a repairable engine :thumbup:
gotta be loads of broken storm engines with a front cct failure, get one of those and buy a rear head(half the price or less of a front), you can mod a rear head to fit the front cylinder, they are a mirror image of each other, just blank the old cct hole and open the blanked part in the new head, job done :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

ItsaKeeper wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:35 pm Hi - I am a bungling amateur (but keen to learn) when it comes to engine maintenance and my firestorm will need valve clearance checks soon. I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to get a spare engine to practice on. I could then follow the advice in the workshop page when it came to engine matters on the dummy engine before messing up my good one.

Just wondered if any other forum members have been down this path or would recommend it?

That sounds like a brilliant idea :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

-except you still have to go to the trouble of installing it to see if it runs ok....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.