How do I fit luggage

General Bike chat
Dylan Rogers

How do I fit luggage

Post by Dylan Rogers »

:?: MIG very high lift systems i.e cans heat elbow! Hugger, under tray. no rear pegs, nothing sticks out at the back to tie on to, how the hell do I take my gear on this sports tourer to France???????
Help Help help ! :roll:
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

This won't be of much help but the answer is - With Difficulty!!

Looks like you'll need to use a tank bag & some sort of tail pack that fits to the rear seat or buy a luggage rack that bolts on to the top of the sub-frame "a la grab rail" and strap some luggage to that.

Al.
Stormin Ben

Luggage problem

Post by Stormin Ben »

Two helpful hints

1) get a tankbag

2) if you remove the seat and look underneath there are a couple of fold out bungee hooks I think (or am I thinking of my old bike?)

Anyway, if I AM being senile and you've not got any there, if you unlock the seat and slide it back/up a bit you can get a bungee/cargo net onto the loops that the seat locates on

Hope this helps

Ben
Teamslug

Luggage

Post by Teamslug »

Hello
I have the same problem i dont put luggage on my storm that often but after i had put on hi level cans (no foot pegs etc) i was due for the annual trip the the isle of man so something had to be sorted! after standing in the garage looking round for ideas i tried a stanley mitre block, yes i know bet you think what the F**k but let me explain the mirte block (i am tight and only wanted to use what was lying about :wink: ) is about a foot long and six inches high and it just fits on the pillion part of the seat, cover off obviously i put it on so the base of the mitre block faced up and ratchet strapped it to the seat very firmly/tightly (took the seat off to do this) and then put the seat back on shortened the straps between the panniers as much as possible (i have oxford expanding sports panniers) and put them on to the mitre block and then strapped them to that it works ok and keeps the panniers away from the end cans. My panniers were full and i also had a large bag on top and had that tied on so i could brace the luggage against my back under heavy braking.
Its not ideal but it worked ok 90 mph + and numerous rounabouts it is a bit wobbly because its fastened to the seat but its what i am going to do again this year might not be suitable for touring around ( i only have a short trip to the ferry)but something similar might work. If you have a mitre block you could always try it :lol: and see what ya think.
Hope my ramblings have given you some ideas.

See ya :wink:
Teamslug

Correction!

Post by Teamslug »

erm just had a look in the garage and its a Draper mitre block probably makes no difference but i thought i would tell ya all.

As my dad allways says necessity is the mother of invention that and being a tight git !!! :D
Dylan Rogers

Post by Dylan Rogers »

:D Thanks fellas now I know where to start will let u know how I get on.
:idea:
Teamslug

Any Progress

Post by Teamslug »

Did you sort anything out luggage wise :?: i would be interested to know if you sorted another way of fitting luggage to a storm with high level cans
Nigel75

Luggage

Post by Nigel75 »

I have just fitted a baglux tank cover and alpha tank bag to my 2000 model. If you are on the heavy/shortish side like me :roll: (5'10" & 14.5 St) you have to be careful which bag you fit.
I first tried the Tektra bag but it dug into my chest on the move so I had to change it to the Alpha model. I went to the wholesalers at Kinmell Bay in North Wales and they were very helpful, so if possible, try before you buy.
I am also considering fitting a Givi top box to my storm, as I intend to do some touring on it this summer with my 10yr old son, has anyone used this or a similar system ? does it upset the handling too much ? any comments would be useful.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I used a Nonfango top bog on my VTR and didn't even notice it when I was riding-

Nigel75

Post by Nigel75 »

Cheers for that, was it solid enough to use as a backrest? and is nonfango better or worse than givi?. I have used givi in the past and found it to be excellent quality ie no leaks,solid fit etc, but I havent seen nonfango in the flesh. When I finally get it sorted I will post pics for future ref.
philsmith

Post by philsmith »

oh, no :!:

I hadn't even thought how I'll get my oxford sport panniers & expander tankbag + the wife on the firestorm for the trip to the TT week.

See how It goes I suppose! :?

Phil.
Have fun & Ride Safe.
Phil.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Nigel75 wrote:Cheers for that, was it solid enough to use as a backrest? and is nonfango better or worse than givi?. I have used givi in the past and found it to be excellent quality ie no leaks,solid fit etc, but I havent seen nonfango in the flesh. When I finally get it sorted I will post pics for future ref.
I only went with the nonfango cause I had the box before the bike!
No box/rack is really designed o have someone leaning on it although it can help folks falling off the back and make then feel a bit safer.
2 Smokin' Barrels

Re: How do I fit luggage

Post by 2 Smokin' Barrels »

Dylan Rogers wrote::?: MIG very high lift systems i.e cans heat elbow! Hugger, under tray. no rear pegs, nothing sticks out at the back to tie on to, how the hell do I take my gear on this sports tourer to France???????
Help Help help ! :roll:
I have the cure but it will cost you! :wink: After just about meeting my maker when a soft saddlebag went into the wheel I bought a set of hard-bags(Givi-style) and mounted them on the bike. The only way to do this proper is to modify the tail section of your bike by cutting a hole in each side(about 1" dia), that lines up with the hollow tube behind the seat latch. A piece of all-thread rod through the bike and nutted into place and you've got a very solid mount for any hard luggage. I also use a piece of 1" flat stainless sandwhiched between the footpeg bracket and the sub-frame to creat a second mount and come off of the muffler mounting peg for a third. I do have a few pics but unfortunately none are scanned but if you are interested I'll see what I can do. The modifying the tail piece sounds dramatic but they are really quite cheap to buy and keep a spare around for when the luggage is off. I also cover the holes when I am too lazy to change the bodywork with a 1" grommet that I found in an automotive store. Hard luggage kicks ass and is the only real way to tour, IMHO.
Cheers