Oil-level

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VikingTor

Oil-level

Post by VikingTor »

Hi! On my VTR '97 there is a biiig difference in the oil level from cold to warm engine. When should the level be in btw the max-min marks? All the manuals says: "Run the engine on idle for some minutes, then wait and check." Does that mean I can't use the level after a long trip as a measure? I really want to have the least possible oil in the bike, since the gearing is so much smoother with less oil.(weird..) I use the castrol actevo 10w 40 if that has something to say..
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Viking
I check mine whether it is hot or cold. As long as it's visable in the window when cold I don't worry, If it's hot I expect it to be between the middle of the window and the top.
Hope this helps :D
Pete.l
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Pete,
Thats odd, I'd have thought the level would be lower when the engine was hot as the oil had been flung all round the engine whereas when its cold it has all dropped back into the sump
If its half-full when hot surely its gonna be borderline overfilled?

Viking,
You should only need to check it hot (as recommended in the manual) the once. Thereafter just check how the hot reading differs from the cold reading and adjust accordingly

Ben
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Ben said
I'd have thought the level would be lower when the engine was hot as the oil had been flung all round the engine whereas when its cold it has all dropped back into the sump
Me too but if you give the oil a little time to drain back into the sump when hot you'll find it must have increased it's volume with temperature cause the level is higher.

Pete.l
Hmmmm. if I could put up with warm bear, hot bear would be more for the same money 8O
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Pete.L wrote: Hmmmm. if I could put up with warm bear, hot bear would be more for the same money 8O
errr you perhaps mean beer, or are you resurecting your secret fetish for furry animals again??? :wink:
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

why pete, didn't realise you were an animal LOVER. :lol:
it may be clever, but its not big.
VikingTor

Post by VikingTor »

Thanks for the answers guys!

Maybe a bit more info than I would have hoped for, but hey!

I'm taking my VTR for my first long trip with it tomorrow morning. Going from Budapest where I study, to Oslo where I live. 2400km. Don't have time for having fun though, so it'll be 2 days on the autobahn/motorway... A bit boring..But at least it's on the bike=)
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Paul said
why pete, didn't realise you were an animal LOVER.
Ian said
errr you perhaps mean beer, or are you resurecting your secret fetish for furry animals again???
Pete saysDoh!

:oops: :oops: :oops:
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

denying it though.........are you !
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

whoops !