Clutch problem

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
freshfunkmeister

Clutch problem

Post by freshfunkmeister »

I hope I have solved it now. Basically, when I am on the gas going from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th ( at about 8,000 rpm ) the revs hit the limiter then back down to about 7,000 and i lose drive. As the bike is now used solely on the track, this is a pain in the butt as all those R1's and GSXRs that I have passed earlier on (yeah right !) just take me back on the straights. So, I have diagnosed the problem as a slipping clutch and have put a whole set of new clutch plates in. Having removed and inspected the old ones, I couldn't see too much wrong with them ( like I know what I'm looking for anyway) so I hope I haven't wasted my time. Will I expect the bike to be ok on its next outing (25th June at Cadwell ) or will I continue to have an issue here ? Random speculations appreciated.
As soon as I read about the dangers of drinking too much, I immediately gave up reading.

www.classicreplicasuk.co.uk

All donations will go towards the completion of the car. Thank you.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

If it doesn't sort the problem, try stiffer springs.
They're only about £8 a set and take 4 mins to do (once you've got the clutch cover off of course!!)

Ben
JamesK

Post by JamesK »

Bike Torque do Barnett clutch springs for £10, I've used these before in a couple of race bikes and they are spot on.

If the bike is used just for the track then its something i'd definately do anyway.
freshfunkmeister

Post by freshfunkmeister »

.....I will put stiffer springs in this week sometime as that sounds like a damn fine plan. If only I'd thought of that earlier as the clutch cover is a pain to remove. Thanks for the advice folks.
As soon as I read about the dangers of drinking too much, I immediately gave up reading.

www.classicreplicasuk.co.uk

All donations will go towards the completion of the car. Thank you.
theweeeman

Post by theweeeman »

just a thought while your on the subject, i have a proshifter on my storm that flicks the front up between 1st and 2nd. Is it possible to buy a slipper clutch for a storm? and if so is it expensive or hard to install???
the weeeman riding the storm!
http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/gallery/746.jpg
check this out too!
http://www.toolcrew.co.uk
sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

yeah you can get a slipper about 900squid though
The voices made me do it
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Kin OUCH !!!!!
theweeeman

Post by theweeeman »

OOHH, thats too much, my proshifter cost me that! :wink: not sure how i could get away with payin out that much! missus would kill me :lol:
the weeeman riding the storm!
http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/gallery/746.jpg
check this out too!
http://www.toolcrew.co.uk
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Could'nt get away with spending that much !!!! :(
Buy a sh1t load of nappies that would !!! :cry:
( pun not intended ! )
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

theweeeman wrote:just a thought while your on the subject, i have a proshifter on my storm that flicks the front up between 1st and 2nd. Is it possible to buy a slipper clutch for a storm? and if so is it expensive or hard to install???
A slipper clutch ain't gonna help you with that mate.
All they do is prevent the engine over-revving when you downshift and/or stop the engine braking from locking the rear wheel

Ben

PS My slipper clutch was totally free and involves using two fingers on the clutch lever to let it slip slightly.
Works brilliantly
:lol: